1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

24 hr dead roosters are they ok for dog meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by roosterbob405, Feb 26, 2016.

1. roosterbob405

roosterbob405 New Egg

Feb 26, 2016
    g,day guys well il introduce myself 1st as know doubt ill be back after myself thread...just a young male from australia looking for info and advice on the chook world...so i have butchered my fair share of roosters in my time and the ones ive ate have been pretty much not long after the kill,but my question is i have 6 dead roosters which have been sitting around in a shed in empty feed bags not covered,they havent been bleed or guts removed,will they still be good for dog food or do i chuck them out for the native wildlife to feed on?

thanks in advance

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I wouldn't give them to anything just toss them in a fire or compost or garbage, It could make them really sick even if it has only been 24 hrs.

3. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    I agree, I'd make them part of the wildlife food chain. I'm raising my first batch of meaties for dog food but plan to process them as if I were going to eat them. You also don't say why they were dead. I would not feed my dogs anything that died of unknown causes, even if I found it immediately and processed it.

4. NewhAtch3r

NewhAtch3r Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Yes I agree with last post.

5. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    In the UK we sometimes intentionally leave a bird, guts in a little while. I just finished processing 3 big broilers I slaughtered last night. They where hanging in my shed. If the space was cool and I had killed the rooster and they had bled out etc. I would eat them.

6. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Oh sorry, I re-read and saw they have not been bled. I don't know what effect the blood sitting would have.

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    A normal healthy dog will love to eat them.

Dogs are scavengers.. they have really powerful digestive enzymes and strong stomachs!

They can eat just about anything.. and I never heard of one getting food poisoning from eating a recently dead animal.

But if your dog is a pampered pooch which has only been used to eating dry dog feed from the pet store then I will not be a good idea to suddenly give it raw dead animals.. however fresh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by