24 hrs and chicks still not out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wanabefarmer, May 7, 2009.

1. Wanabefarmer

Wanabefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Stilwell Oklahoma
    I have a homemade incubator and am on day 20. 1 chick has hatched and is doing well. I have 35 eggs total and 9 others have zipped. ( I believe thats what it is called) The first egg that zipped done it 23 hours ago. It was the size of an pencil eraser and is a lot larger now. I can see him moving but am worried that 24 hrs may be too long. On the other hand I don't want to rush things and try to help and kill him.

Any suggestions?

Also the chick that hatched is dry and doesn't have much room to walk around with the other eggs. I have the brooder ready set at 98 degrees. It has been about 12 hrs since it hatched, would it be ok to put it in the brooder now?

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    When they first poke a hole in the shell, that is called a pip. Then when they start moving around the shell, it's called zipping. Just think about it as unzipping a zipper. [​IMG]

It can take quite awhile after a chick pips for it so zip, especially if it is just day 20 and not quite 21 yet. Sit on your hands and don't open that bator for anything! Not even to get that newly hatched little chick out. It will be fine and will peep enough to cheer the other chicks on to get them to hatch! It will be kind of like a little cheer leader and will be much happier in the bator than by itself in the brooder.

3. Wanabefarmer

Apr 26, 2009
    Stilwell Oklahoma
    Thanks, It has been zipping for about 10 hrs now. The zip is about 1 inch long and up to 1/4 inch wide. It has been that way for a few hours now. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to to anything.

It is very had to sit back an leave them alone! lol

Thanks for the info

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You're right! It is hard, but if you open that bator the humidity will drop and will increase your chances of the other chicks getting stuck inside their eggs and not hatching. That thought alone should help curb the desire to open that bator! Go to bed and when you get up, you should have some more chicks in your bator. [​IMG]

5. Wanabefarmer

Apr 26, 2009
    Stilwell Oklahoma
    I have 4 that has hatched now but am still worried about the one egg. It has been 36 hours since it first pipped and at least 24 hours of zipping. There is still movement but the it appears to be drying around the zip. Whats the longest that you know of?

I have had my humidity between 69 and 75% and the others have had no problems.

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    IF its really that long you can take him out and try to help him a little, just remmber that by doing so you could be jeperdizeing the others with a humiidty drop. The choice is up to you if you decide to help remmber do it gently and slowly and stop if you see any blood. Oh and to help with humidity if you take him out , be very quick and you could have a nice hot wet sponge or small towl or soemthing ready to slip in while you slip him out to help with humidity

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  7. Wanabefarmer

Apr 26, 2009
    Stilwell Oklahoma
    Shortly after my post I decided to help him. I know I can already feel the slaps on my hands from everyone. lol
    Anyway I got him out and he wasn't stuck. I didn't think he would make it because he seemed to be barely breathing and not moving or even opening his eyes. A couple of hours later I checked and he was standing and doing well.
    As far as the humidity it only dropped to 62. The condensation had build on the underneath of my lid and gave a light shower which brought the humidity back up into the 70's in less than a couple of minutes.

I have 6 that have hatched and 4 more are trying to. I don't know about the rest but at 5:00 this evening will make the 21st day so maybe there will be hope for some of the other 25 [​IMG]

This is the egg I was concerned with. It has looked just like this for 24 hours.
    [​IMG]

This chick thinks its the mama. lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the 3rd one to hatch
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by