24 hrs, and still no pips!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secretquail, Aug 4, 2010.

1. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    One of my babies has been chirping in the egg since last evening, but there are still no pips in any of the eggs. Is this normal? How long will they talk before getting down to business?! They are due to hatch on Friday, so I am just sitting on my hands. It surprised me to hear one so early!

[​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

The chirping one should have piped within 24 hours. They eventually run out of air and die in the egg. I would carefully pip the one egg that has chirped, but leave the other ones alone. Sometimes the pip is so small that you may not see it, but you should feel it. Its a good idea to make a drawing of the egg positions in the incubator and take notes with date and time like has wiggled, chirped, piped, etc. This can help when it comes to making decisions. Oh forgot to say, ducks need much longer to hatch then quails. Just saw your name and thought I point this out.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. obsidianembrace

obsidianembrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Utah
    Just bringing this up in case, what kind of ducks are they? (I don't know anything, just want people posting after to be sure they know).
    [​IMG]

good luck, i hope someone can help (although it's probably best to leave it alone for a few more days, i know it's hard) [​IMG]

4. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    They are appleyards, the large ones. I'll look to see if there is a pip. Can't be too sure looking in through the top.

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Is your Humidity in Check?

6. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    The humidity could be a bit higher...Ive struggled to keep it at 75. Just popped a hole, and the little one is peeping away. The membrane was 1/2 off. Hope he comes out soon, I think it may be the only one that made it. [​IMG]

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Im not sure what the humidity is supposed to be for ducks, but that was probably why [​IMG] I hope it makes it. There are a few threads on her about helping chicks out if your considering it.

8. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I'm thinking about it, who wouldn't, but I know I shouldn't. But if the egg is too dry,...well you could justify about anything if you put your mind to it.[​IMG] I'll check the threads, thanks.

ok, so here is where things are....

I popped open the egg a bit around the air sac. A little beak was wiggling at me:) so I went a bit farther. I pulled back the membrane and the shell where there were no veins. His leg loosened away from the shell, and I can see the yolk sac. It is still attached. It looks like his belly is a ball. not sure if this is a good thing. He is still curled in the egg, and a wet cloth is holding it. Not sure I did the right thing, but his friend that was wiggling next to him didn't make it...the membrane was all dried out, so who knows. I'll keep the info coming as it changes.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  9. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You need to get the humidity up or they will shrink wrap. Add sponges to increase the moisture's surface.

10. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I have the egg wrapped in a wet cloth. Just waiting to see what the little one does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by