24 hrs since pip - to help or not to help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blaines.insane, Jan 21, 2009.

1. blaines.insane

blaines.insane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    SW Utah
    First time hatcher here...

Got a little white silkie who is struggling to get out. He was one that spent 24 hours upside down in the turner the day before we took the turner out.

Yesterday about this time, he pipped a little hole in the correct end -- so that was a relief. But it's been 24 hours since then, and he hasn't made any progress. The poor guy is chirping and struggling, but it looks as though his beak is stuck.

Judging by the orientation of his pipping tooth, his head would have to be bent straight back. I don't know how to describe it... he's pipped at the correct end, but the top of his beak is oriented downward, and it seems that the tooth is hooked on the shell and he can't pull it back in.

He has a sibling that pipped several hours after him, and it's already out.

I don't want to help if I don't have to... but I'm afraid if I don't intervene soon, he ain't gonna make it. Maybe if I just push his beak back in so he can get another shot at it?

What do I do???

Thanks
    Blaine

2. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    I go by the 24 hour rule. If they arent out 24 hours after the pip, I take them out myself. I have saved quite a few birds that just couldnt do it by themselves.

If you think he is stuck, go ahead and help him. Use a pair of tweezers to pull back part of the shell. Start breaking off part of the shell, in zipping formation, but leave the shell on so the membrane doesnt dry out too quick.

Keep a very watchful eye after you help and keep us updated.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What number day is this on your incubation?

They can pip and sleep and wake inside the shell while the yolk is still absorbing.

If you take the chick out of the shell and yolk is not absorbed it will have very little chance of living.

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I helped one out it's shell last week. It was first to pip (on Day 21). All of the other chicks hatched and this one was struggling on. After 24+ hours, I helped it out and he/she is doing fine now.

But, like MissPrissy says, you gotta be careful about the yolk absorbing before you do anything. Some people say to just let nature take it's course and do nothing. Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. blaines.insane

Dec 26, 2008
    SW Utah
    OK, I took the egg out and "pipped" about 3/4 around the shell with tweezers. The membrane already looked somewhat dry and sticky. He looks like he's stuck to me... But I don't know... never done this before!

Did that about 30 minutes ago. I'm watching and waiting a little while longer to see if he'll try to get out on his own. If not, I'm going in.

I had my wife talk to her friend who grew up on a farm. She called her dad who's been a farmer his whole life. He thinks my humidity levels are too low.

I'm wondering if I should get a spray bottle with some warm water in it and mist the eggs? What do you think?

Also, I'm using the Genesis Hovabator. It has a notch in the lid and base for the turner wire. With the turner in there, the wire mostly plugs the hole off. It didn't say in the manual what to do when you take the turner out. Should the lid be rotated 90 degrees to plug that hole off, or is it necessary to be aligned for circulation/humidity control? I had rotated the lid to close off that slot when I removed the turner. But now I've second-guessed myself and turned it back. I would think that if it were critical, the manual would say something.

anyone have any words of wisdom in that regard?

Going to check on him again...

Blaine

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I must ask you again -

What day of incubation are the eggs on?

What has been your humidity the last few days?

Again I caution you - if it is not at least 21 days in the incubation and you hatch that the chick yourself and the yolk is not absorbed it most likely will not live.

7. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i just hatched one myself on day 22. he had pipped about 36 hours prior to me helping. turns out he was too big for his shell. you should take a little eye dropped, and being VERY careful not to get any in his nostrils, drop a little warm water on his membrane to help soften it up a little bit.

8. blaines.insane

Dec 26, 2008
    SW Utah
    Quote:We're 17 hours into day 21. I don't have any way to check the humidity. It is a Genesis Hovabator, and I just followed the instructions to fill both trays with water.

Thanks,
    Blaine

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I urge you to proceed with caution.

10. Hi Blaine! By all means, do procede with caution.
    I took the egg out and "pipped" about 3/4 around the shell with tweezers.

Did you see blood? Usually, if it is too early and they haven't absorbed yolk and supporting blood vessels --- you'll see bleeding. That's a sign you intervened too early and they probably need more time in the shell.
    If you didn't see any blood, then the chick might be ready to come out, but can't because it's stuck. Humidity issues can cause that and the only way the chick can survive is with intervention.
    Good luck!
    Lisa​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by