24 in the Incubator

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rjs55555, Jan 8, 2011.

1. rjs55555

rjs55555 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Latrobe, PA
    I was lucky to find a quail breeder only 10 minutes away who raises quail and eggs for food only. Luckily I convinced her to sell me some eggs for hatching that were not cleaned yet and that she was going to incubate. [​IMG] She was a very nice woman. Needless to say I got the incubator up and running with 24 eggs that did not need shipped and were handled with the utmost care.

One interesting side note is that the hens that are raised for sale to restaurants did not have any roos with them and where noticeably bigger. Anyone trying to squeeze that illusive few ounces more from the quail might want to try this if you have not.

2. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I have my big sportsman bator running to. I have 25 button quail eggs in it and doing well. Next Sunda (16) I'm expecting my first hatch of the year. And yes I know a big sportsman is over kill for 25 button eggs butttt butttt I have other birds also [​IMG]

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    We all suffer from "Bator envy" from time to time.

Good luck on your hatch!

Is there an echo in here? 25 buttons in a sportsman...I know there is an echo in there!

4. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    What kind of quail? [​IMG]

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Ha, I can relate to the neighbor thing my neighbor has a farm and he has a farm store, well I talk him into selling me a dozen eggs fresh out of the coop, poop still on, and all.for my broody.

I have always wanted to try and raise quail, maybe this summer ill reasearch them, and 2012 spring ill raise some because I bought a incubator that comes with quail egg turner racks.

anyway congrats [​IMG]

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Wish I had a sportsman to under load. My home made will make the sportsman and hovabator look like a complex refrigerator. Maybe you should consider buying some coturnix eggs to accompany them???? I know I'm really pushing those eggs again.[​IMG]

8. rjs55555

rjs55555 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Latrobe, PA
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

What kind of quail? [​IMG]

Jumbo Browns/A & M's

Looking forward them hatching!​

9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Those button eggs must be lonely, they don't even take up a whole rack. Good Luck on the hatch.[​IMG]

10. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    not even close to a rack....not even a dishful. Oh well I was "testing" some duck eggs and had to put them in there. lol the duck eggs were clear...but hey the buttons aren't. Friday is lock down and Sunday should be hatch day. On Friday the boy and I can put the brooder together and Saturday morning turn on the light. And then wait and wait and wooooo hoooooooo baby's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by