24 Inch Walls - When will chicks' escape ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTopPA_18707, Mar 19, 2011.

1. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our chicks are only a week old.

I'm just wondering . . . at what age must I put a top of the brooder to ensure they don't escape ?

Kevin & Kids.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    5 weeks? I'm not sure, I suppose when they get excited.

3. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    It would depend on the breed. Some breeds are flyers and some are content to sit around. Best to cover it early on, rather than too late.
    Dale-Ann

4. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I would do it now. I use a window screen.It will help keep the dust down and still let air circulate.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  5. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the feedback.

This weekend I will add a window screen top . . . it will be week # two, and the temp should be lowered to 90F.

At that temp the Lamp will be at 24 inches or higher . . . which makes it even easier to add the top.

Kevin & Kids

6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Mine were escaping 18" walls at 2 weeks. Yours are on their way. Keep the feed and water away from the edge....mine learned to hop there first and then out. [​IMG]

7. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    My Buff Orpingtons flew out at 2 weeks and mine was taller than yours.

8. Back on the Farm

Back on the Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Mine were jumping at 2 weeks and coming pretty darn close to the top - so I added a screen to the top to keep them in. A few days ago, I ended up moving them to a very large dog crate because they ran out of room. They grow so fast.

Cover as soon as you can - they are brave, curious little souls.

9. BoyetteK9

BoyetteK9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Clermont County, Ohio
    Mine are two weeks old today and one made it to the top of the box this afternoon. I've already had to split them into two boxes - three in a Rubbermaid tub and four in a large cardboard box with the sides taped up for height.

Help!

What does everyone keep their chicks in that's large enough to hold all 7 so I don't interrupt the pecking order and have to re-introduce them later?
    At the rate they're growing I'll have to have six separate boxes which I can't keep all warm. I'm in Cincinnati and days are in the 60's, and nights still in the 40's. They're in the basement right now.

10. aprhardy

aprhardy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Great topic!! Mine are a week old today and I found them escaped earlier! Talking about scary! Right now I've got 8, with the 24 inch cardboard circle, plenty big, and they managed to push under/through it and were sleeping on the outside of the ring. I have no idea what I am going to do when my other 25 get here next week! Yikes! Help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by