24 week old RIR has poor balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fiveaugers, Sep 15, 2016.

1. fiveaugers

fiveaugers New Egg

May 28, 2014
    Hello, we have 2 Rhode Island Reds that we integrated into our flock of 5 about 14 weeks ago, maybe a bit longer. We integrated them slowly but even today, they have yet to be accepted completely. The 2 Reds came from the same batch that was hatched by a friend so I guess they are "sisters". One is doing very well, has now grown to be almost the biggest girl we have. She has finally started roosting with the others even though there is a lot of bumping going on in there at night before they settle.
    Her sister I have discovered, lays at the bottom of the coop as close to big sis as possible - but thankfully not under her! She is much smaller, her comb and around her eyes are very pale, and she seems to have really poor balance. Neither of the 2 have begun laying yet, though about a month ago, I did get one tiny egg from one of them. The little one is very friendly and does not try to run from me at all. I can easily pick her up and pet her. The bigger sis now tries to get away if I reach for her, but I don't take it personally - ha! The little one, if I set her down, even super gentle, loses balance and stumbles a bit. She is also very easy to literally push over. She does eat and drink very well, she walks all around the run and will eat little snacks when I offer - dried meal worms.
    I have checked her for mites or bugs - nothing. I don't see anything odd about her vent either. I do know both Reds are still bullied a bit, and are sometimes kept from the food and water at times, her a little more (I think because they see weakness?) I am not sure what if anything I should or could do about this. Any ideas, suggestions, or advise from someone who has experienced this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    From her behaviour it sounds like she is physically weak and that is worrying. What does she do when you offer her food away from the flock? How does her droppings look?

3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Another question how does she feel through the breast? Is she all bones or does she have muscle?

4. fiveaugers

fiveaugers New Egg

May 28, 2014
    I had her in the house for about 20 minutes, just checking her over and seeing how she walks etc. The only food I offered was some meal worms and she ate them right up. When I let them all out in the morning, the 2 reds jump right back in and start eating and drinking. I stand there making sure they are allowed by the others. She does feel very bony throughout her chest and when I had her inside, the first dropping she made on the floor (thankfully tile) was very watery. The second seemed normal.

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I was leaving towards cocci as a possibility. I have had it occur with birds the same age as yours and the symptoms are very close to what mine were. They were lacking the bloody stool and diarrhea. May take a sample to the vet and have her checked out or make an appointment for her all together but do it as quick as possible. Cocci and worms are quick silent killers

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by