24 Week old Roo, but what breed is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicky Chick Mama, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Chicky Chick Mama

Chicky Chick Mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    I've been told he is a white leghorn, a white plymouth rock and even a buff orpington with color variation. I know he is NOT an orpington, he is nothing like our others. We got him at Rural King and he was in with the buff orpingtons, but there was a mix up at the breeders. When we were there, RK had *no* white breeds in stock. He has yellow legs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you more picts are needed.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Looks like a Red Sexlink.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I'd say maybe White Leghorn except for the red, another thought is Red sex-link but I think most males have more red. Good Luck

4. Chicky Chick Mama

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    He does seem to still be getting redder. He has a great temperment. Not mean to the hens and always clucks and shows them food he finds. Even when I take them "treats" he stands back and lets the hens go first. Not like the RIR roos! LOL

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hard to say with "mix ups", but just a guess, yes, a RSL roo.

6. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I have only had a few sex links, but the ones I have owned have had more barring around the neck. That's not to say it not though!!! lol

7. lovin'my12chicks

lovin'my12chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    That's a golden comet roo....which is a rsl.........I believe

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. Chicky Chick Mama

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    Quote:It's probably hard to see in the picture, but his neck feathers look like they are "pinstriped". They look buff in the photo.

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    That's definitely a Red Sexlink rooster (aka Red Star, Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, etc). [​IMG]

10. Chicky Chick Mama

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    After doing more research on Red Sex Link, aka Golden Comet, I found that the cross is a RIR or NHR rooster with one of several hens (white rock, silver laced wyandotte, rhode island white, or delaware). So, that would explain the different looks for for the RSL roos. Thanks for all the information. You guys are the bomb! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by