24 week old Silkie Rooster wry neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Juliesayshello, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Juliesayshello

Juliesayshello Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Tishomingo, MS
    I'm fairly new to raising chickens with a flock of 14. The first set of eggs that I hatched are now 24 weeks and are absolutely my babies. I have two buff roosters named Bach and Beethoven. Bach is experiencing symptoms similar to wry neck. He will keep his head between his legs, loses his balance often, and has trouble fluttering off higher places. He started this just recently. I've been giving him Vit E oil for the last few days. My question is, is it possible for him to all of a sudden show signs of wry neck at 24 weeks? Or could this be something else? He eats and drinks fine, no problems with poop that I've seen. It's not constant, he runs and plays with his brother. Should I be doing something else for him? How would I know if it was a brain injury?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    It would be a brain injury if there was no sign of improvement.Selenium is needed for treatment as it absorbs vitamin E.How much vitamin E are you giving him?Do you spend a lot of time with him?

Remember Wry neck will take a long time if not treated soon.

This links is very good and will show the dosage for Vitamin E and Selenium.Also you need to separate Wry neck will get worse if he is stressed.

http://www.ankenyanimalandavian.com/index.pml

3. Juliesayshello

Juliesayshello Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Tishomingo, MS
    How much Vitamin E am I suppose to give? At this point, I'm confused. I spend a lot of time with them, hours every day. How long does it typically take after starting treatment to see an improvement? I'm just super worried that this is something more than a vitamin deficiency. He seems to get worse once he is separated from the flock, and he gets separated because of his condition which in turn make his condition worse. It really is a vicious cycle.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by