1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

24 Week Wyandotte - not laying yet...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mikaelB, Oct 12, 2013.

1. mikaelB

mikaelB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Here she is...does she look 'ready' yet?
    [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Her comb and face will get red when she's at point of lay. 24 weeks is an average start time, you've got a few weeks yet.

Nice looking SLW though.

3. shelbydog

shelbydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok
    Are you sure she's 6 months old? I believe my wyandottes had more comb and wattles at 6 months when they began laying. She looks younger than 6 months to me.

She is a pretty girl.

4. boorae

boorae Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Abita Springs, LA
    I agree, she looks younger than 24 weeks. My 3 Wyandottes took the longest to start laying, which is okay because they're the most beautiful and I considered it a trade off.

5. mikaelB

Nov 25, 2012
    Yes, she's a nice bird!

6. mikaelB

Nov 25, 2012
    Well, I bought her the first week of august, back then she was about 16-18; so perhaps 22 weeks but not younger than that..She did start sitting on the fake egg in her coop though (yesterday).

7. kimberluu

kimberluu Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    I have golden laced wyandottes. They have been laying about a month. By looking at the pic u posted. Someone was mistaken on her age. She looks to me to b young. I would say about a month away.

8. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    April 8 hatch date for my wyandottes and should start laying soon, they are showing all the signs.

9. kimberluu

kimberluu Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    This is what she looked like when she first began to lay spira[​IMG]tically.

10. shelbydog

shelbydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok
    'Dottes are a slower maturing breed but she looks about like a 4 month old in the pic. I have 3 3-4 month old 'dottes and 2 7-8 month 'dottes right now. If she is just super slow in maturing and is at least 22 weeks old, I'd say your a month or two from seeing eggs out of her since she has no face color or comb/wattle growth. IMHO

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by