24 weeks and eggs soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ga Chicken Mom, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Our RIRs and Doms are 24 weeks old today. No eggs yet but the girls are squatting, clucking and most combs and wattles are bright red. The Buff Orps are a little less mature and I guess they will lay later. We didn't calculate when they would be of laying age when we got the girls as baby chicks and obviuosly picked the worst time as the weather is cold and daylight so short. At least they are fully feathered and seem to be fine in the cold (32 degree) weather. I'm trying to figure out the posting pictures proceedure as I do want to brag when we get the first egg. Though the forum won't need pics as you will all hear a big Hooray! from the GA mountains-soon I hope.

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    My bantam dom layed first egg two days ago. forgot how old she is:/ bantams are slower two mature but normally lay at 6-8 months.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Seems many of the most popular breeds are laying later than usual for some reason. Still, you should see eggs within a couple of weeks at the outside.
    ***I just saw that you have Dobes! My family bred AKC Dobes when I was a kid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by