24 weeks and no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TriangleMaster9, Sep 15, 2012.

1. TriangleMaster9

TriangleMaster9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    My buff orpington, buttercup, as of today is 24 weeks and 3 days old. Still no eggs, whats up with that? Buffs are supposed to mature moderately early according to the Henderson Chart. From what i've heard some of them can start lay as early as 18 weeks. I've just started feeding them egg laying food about a week ago since we ran out of starter. We also put alittle bit of probiotic egg boost in their water. Any ideas?

2. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    I got some pictures of her. Shes on the right (oviously) She looks full grown or pretty close

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She looks mature. I'm curious, since you have other hens how do you know a particular one isn't laying?

4. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    Because none of them have started laying yet. Shes the oldest, by a few weeks.

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    do you have a full body picture of her?

6. Leavingegypt

Leavingegypt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    My BO was the last to lay at about 21 weeks. She looks about the same as yours, although those neck feathers look a little sicklely (sp) and dark. Wilma is also my most inconsistent layer- I have 3 Production Reds and 2 Black Ameraucana 13 week old pullets (who aren't laying). If someone takes a day off, it's usually Wilma...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, that's why I was wondering about a side shot....could possibly be a late blooming roo.

However I'm just getting that off looks, 24 weeks isn't late at all. My marans is almost 35 weeks (and definitally a girl) and no eggs. BO are usually pretty slow maturing.

8. LakeBird

LakeBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Pierce County, WA
    I have 5 Lemon Orpingtons, almost 23 weeks without any eggs...I'll bet yours will lay an egg first! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  9. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    I would think its pretty safe to say shes not a rooster, but you never know. She is definately the most friendly out of the group, and is definately not at the top of the pecking order, and doesn't make alot of noise.
    I apologize that there not the best pictures, i'm am gunna bring them all out to roam around soon and will get some pictures then and post them.
    [​IMG]

She doesn't have any spurs, except for little nubs, but almost all hens have that, actualy, some hens have spurs, but it's pretty rare.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    What do you mean her neck feathers look alittle sickly, yeah they're dark, does that mean theres something wrong with her? These were taken in the shade, but her neck feathers are still alittle darker then the rest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by