<24hrs old, mom let get cold, do I force water? do I give up?

Kotiya

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
South-West Ohio
Last evening we realized our broody hen had a lively chick under her. As we (finally) moved the hen from the nesting box to a dog crate so the other hens wouldn't bother babies, or babies wouldn't get out (thought I had more time)...anyway. We found also one dead chick and one dead in the shell. So I went to bed very worried about the mothering skills of this hen although there were so many things that couldve gone wrong.

This morning the baby is listless and shivering. Apparantly the momma didn't keep her under her wings, just next to her. My husband just told me that he thought we would lose the baby. Well, my own momma hormones kicked in. Now I'm at work with this baby under a heat lamp in a shoe box of straw. She seems much calmer now that she's warm, but she sleeps unless I touch her. At least when I touch her she opens her eyes for a few seconds and stands up.

I have tried dunking her head in water, but she hates it. I've tried dripping water down her beak. She sits with her beak in the air -opening and closing it like I've seen other baby birds do, but not chickens. After she gets a few drops down, she keeps the openin/shutting thing going with her beak accompanied by a clicking sound.

Someone be honest with me. Am I prolonging the torture this baby is suffering or does he/she have a chance at survival?

34039_baby.jpg

Oh, that doesn't sound good, BUT I can' blame you for trying. I've had this situation happen once too. I put a little warm milk down the chicks throat with a dropper, and she perked right up. All you can do is try. You may still lose her, but at least you've given the little fuzz butt your best shot!

Good luck with her.......I don't think the little chick is suffering, since you've made her warm and comfortable.

I would probably try adding ACV or sugar to her water. If she is badly dehydrated, I would expect the symptoms you are describing. Good luck, I hope she feels better soon!

-=CG=-

Last edited:
She's gone now.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

By the time I sent the post in, she had breathed her last. I wish........but even if I had brought her inside last night, I don't know if she'd have made it. I appreciate your help. The momma is still sitting on four eggs, but since I moved them yesterday and wasn't careful about their orientation, then shook them a tad to see if anything was inside (one just had rotten gunk), none of the others might make it either. I think its time for me to check out the hatchery websites again.

If it helps, the chicks have to KNOW to go under the momma. If your baby didn't go under it might be that he had something wrong with him. If it was the momma, she may be unfit to raise babies. Depending on the breed, she may just be pecking them to death.
sad.png

Dave

I'm sorry to hear she didn't make it. If you are thinking about ordering from a hatchery, I highly recommend going with MyPetChicken. Her customer service, and shipping times are awesome!

I noticed you're in Ohio. I've had wonderful luck with the Meyer Hatchery, which is in Polk, Ohio. So sorry you lost the little chick. Don't blame yourself now.....you had no idea what kind of a broody she is. I agree with the member who suggested the chick may have been ill, or perhaps your hen is just not a good mother.

It could well have been that the chick was not healthy to begin with inasmuch as there were already 2 that didn't make it. The broody may have recognized this and not cared for it. Nature is cruel but efficient in eliminating those of the species not fit to survive.

So sorry to hear that you lost your chick. Was momma a first timer? If so she will be fine next time.

Also to say it is worthwhile persevering with cold chicks quite often. A newbie hen of mine pooped liquid poo all over two of her newly hatched chicks in April (frost on the ground). I found one cold but at least able to move, the other to all extents and purposes dead. I placed them on my stomach (yuk) whilst coming to the house, washed them in warm water and stood them in a box on the stove whilst starting up the incubator. I put them in there and after 2 hours both were fluffed up again, perky and hungry. I fed them in the incubator and gave them a couple more hours to warm through thoroughly before returning them to momma. Both went on to survive and thrive.

Again sorry for your loss,

sandie

Back
Top Bottom