1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

24hrs, pipped at the wrong end...when to intervene??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UrbanMama, Nov 12, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It doesn't look like it can turn in the egg and it's pipped at the wrong end....when (if at all) should I intervene? It's a blue silkie that has been pipped since yesterday around 3:30pm.....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    You will get alot of different answers, but its your egg. If you think its time to help then I would help. Thats just me though. I helped 2 of mine, they are doing just as good as the others.

3. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Go ahead and help it out. If he doesnt make it, at least you know you tried. It's your egg, like willow said.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd give at least 24 hours or day 22 before thinking about helping. Then, click on the sticky on the top of this section and you will find info on helping.

5. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I ended up waiting until 5:30 to help the baby (26hrs from pipping) I really think this little one would have ended up dying in the shell. It was upside down in the egg and wedged in a way that it couldn't turn. (It had pipped at the wrong end of the shell) I read the sticky (thank you silkiechicken! [​IMG] ) I helped zip it a bit(not the membrane, just shell) wet the membrane and then put it back in. A couple of minutes ago, it finally hatched! [​IMG] Tired but so far so good. [​IMG]

6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Glad it is doing ok, sometimes everyone needs a little help.

7. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Had you seen it move in there to make you think it was still alive? I think mine might have already passed. I haven't seen any movement through the little pip in a long time.

8. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I took it out quickly. It was already gone. Congrats on getting yours out quick and saving it!

9. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote::aww I'm sorry!

Yes, I could see the beak and it just couldn't move. I really think I would have been in the same boat if I didn't help when I did. It's a blue silkie and she's alternating between sleeping, bowling with the other eggs and sleeping some more! [​IMG]

10. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Last time I saw mine move in the pip was this morning. I felt it was gone and was right. I have another I'm starting to doubt, but I'm not opening the bator again till I'm ready to take chicks out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by