25-4 wk old chicks brooder too small/move

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kingsfarm, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    They have been outside from day 1 (Oct.11) 4 weeks ago in brooder with heat lamp. Soon there will be no more room for them to really move around, fly etc...I want to move them to an A frame coop/pen. dirt floor, roost ... instead of wire floor, roost(a 2x4)...I will hang a heat lamp only because they are 4 weeks and not completely feathered out...head feathers coming in...they have done well in the 40 degree weather we have had, my question is will they be ok on dirt floor - big coop? or just wait two more weeks till they are all featherd out - the poo situation on the boards not wire has to be washed off every 2nd or third day... Is the poo situation a bad thing for them, I hose off roost daily (they are removable)...Just can't decide what is best to do...

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I think they will be fine on dirt floor. They will enjoy the larger space, for sure. More space makes them less likely to pick on each other. I had a January hatch where they lived in the brooder in our spare room. It got too small and messy, so out to the big house they went. ( I ended up bringing them back into the house the first night- it was February, and below freezing, and I felt bad for them LOL)

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, go for space. They'll be much happier. With dirt they can dustbathe.

4. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Yup, give them their new house, just make sure to keep the heat lamp in there for them and adjust accordingly.

5. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Thank you LilBizzy,ChickenCanoe and M.sue --- I will take you advice and move them...thank you, thank you, thank you.....G

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by