25 chickens need to know size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by foxxracer278, Jan 11, 2010.

1. foxxracer278

foxxracer278 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    morris county nj
    so i have 4 chickens now and i will be getting 25 more i need to make a new coop. what size should i get ? also could you guys and girls show me some pics of your coops that have 25 chickens so i know what the inside setup should maybe look like

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I only have 4 so I can't help with set up.
    The general rule of thumb is 4 sf per bird in the coop. 10 sf per bird in the run.
    You can get by with less if they are free ranged.

Congrats on getting more chickens

Imp

3. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    you need a minimum of 10x12 . if they are in alot for winter go alot bigger..

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd browse the coops pages...the ones listed as large. You're sure to get a lot of ideas.

5. foxxracer278

foxxracer278 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    morris county nj
    yeh thx i cant wait to get them. i have some time to build the coop so i can think and yeh i just found all the pics i forgot about all of them

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You are in Wyoming? Local owners can advise on square footage and run requirements. We're in a winter zone so we have a min of 15 sq ft per bird inside and more outside. Your winters are likely savage though drier than ours. My hens are indoors this week, bitter and windy here, Arctic high over us. The flock is doing well, running scratching and jumping indoors without hostility.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by