25 Dead Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Allagash, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Allagash

Allagash Out Of The Brooder

Rough day today. Ordered 25 white Silkies (straight run) from one of the big mail order houses a couple of weeks ago. They shipped yesterday. I had their new home all set up and waiting for them this morning when I left for work. I expanded the 4'x4' wooden pen I used last year to 4'x8' and bought an extra heat lamp, light, waterer, and feeder as well. I got the call at 8:20 from the post office here in Westerly, RI that my chicks had arrived. 15 minutes later I arrived to find a box of chicks that was silent. I immediately got a sinking feeling in my gut. Sure enough, all 25 were dead. This was my first time ordering chicks online. I felt horrible. I called the company and they are sending out 25 more next week but I'm afraid it will happen again...

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    How sad! I don't know anything about silkies, but I know they're smaller. Maybe they got too cold?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    So sorry, that's just awful. Cold was my first thought as well. When you order from a hatchery you have to consider the weather from the state the hatchery is in, your state and everywhere in between. I'd call them back and request they put in a heat pack this time, that's a service most hatcheries offer. They'd probably be willing to do it at no extra charge since your entire first shipment was DOA :(
    Nikki

4. cubbysan

cubbysan Chillin' With My Peeps

I order some silkies a few weeks ago too from a private seller. Every week she checked the weather forecast from her location and mine. We ended up putting off shipping for three weeks until the weather warmed up Wednesday, they were then shipped next day delivery and had a heatpack in the box, they are also a lot bigger than they would have been three weeks ago. If you can control the next shipment date, try to see what the extended forecast is and that the temps do not fall under 35.

5. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Overrun With Chickens

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    How terrible, I am so sorry! Hopefully it will warm up for your next shipment!

6. 3KewlChix

3KewlChix New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Altoona,Pa
    Sorry for your loss.Hopefully the hatchery will re send you chicks at no cost.I second the heat pack OR delaying the shipping till its warmer out.

7. Allagash

Allagash Out Of The Brooder

I wound up getting a replacement order the last week of March and all of those birds died as well. Out of 25 about 5 were alive. The remaining 5 died over the course of a couple of days. It was horrible. They offered to ship out yet another order and I declined. I will never order chicks from a hatchery until April in the future....

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  8. shellyjimrye

shellyjimrye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Didsbury, Alberta Canada
    This is really horrible and first off I want to say I am so sorry that you had that happen. That would really dishearten ANYONE!!! I live up in Canada and I ordered my chicks from a local hatchery here that is well known. They shipped in the mail over night. The night/day that they shipped it was -19 C or -2 F. We ordered 50 and lost three the first day and none since. I think what happened to you might be more than just the cold but rather the company itself. Not entirely sure but I would have declined to have any further chicks from them.

9. chickzndahood

chickzndahood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    this is so terrible, i hope if you ever order anymore you will get more luck [​IMG]

10. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Wow...Im so sorry! Were they cold? Or suffocated? Maybe the new guy at the hatchery didnt package them right? [​IMG] We are praying the next batch will arrive safe and happy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by