25 from Ideal just arrived, all alive!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Jeffross1968, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So after reading some horror stories, we've been mentally pacing for days now. Texas to western NC...they were shipped Wednesday afternoon and arrived at the PO this morning. They are all in the brooder chirping, eating, and drinking.

[​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Congratulations!
    New baby chicks are always such a delight.
    I'm glad they all arrived safely.

[​IMG]

3. Thats great, they are soo cute! Congrats!

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    What breed are your chicks?

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Have no clue. They were a "rare breed pullet" sale. I asked for the pool of breeds that they might pull from, but was told they couldn't. So...guess we'll figure it out over the next month?

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Are you hoping you have a rooster in your flock, or would you rather just have all pullets? I know sometimes people order pullets with the expectation that they will probably receive at least one rooster. (I know this is more rare with the sex-link chickens.)

It will be fun trying to determine what breed of chickens you have.

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We have a couple roosters already. Had one we had to cull a month ago. and 3 more at differing stages of development, the oldest should mature later this month. I think we've decided to always keep 2 on hand. We like to have a rooster around, and like hatching our own eggs, and it was a bummer going these last couple months with no fertile eggs.

The oldest 2 are mixes from our own flock. The 3rd is a black copper maran that was the only egg out of 24 shipped eggs that we hatched for New Years.

We have another order of chicks, this time from MM, coming later this month. One group of those is straight run, blue laced red wyandottes, so we might keep one of those and cycle out one of the older mixes as it matures. Building a flock is one the best parts of having chickens. I think our minds change what to keep every week!

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Out of 24 eggs only one hatched? Do you know why that happened?

It seems you have many different breeds and mixes of chickens. It's going to look like a rainbow around your place this spring.

9. Maev

Maev Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    awww...Cute babies!

10. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    A good number of them were not fertilized. They were from Gabbard farms. I emailed them about it and never got a reply. Wish I could go back and change my ebay feedback.

Yeah, we already have a nice looking flock. But after these bunch, it's going to be pretty unique for around here. I just set up a calendar, and we have chickens coming into laying every month February through July. Will make things interesting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by