1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

25 hens how many eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ericasl, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Hi all, I have 25 pullets some will be a year in June and some will be a year in May, I also have one hen that is almost 2 years old. I have a mix of breeds I have some of all of these austrlops, delaware, isa brown, white rock, araucana, buff cochin, wyandottes, RIR, and also a few mutts. So all in all how many eggs should you get in a normal day. With the right amount of daylight hours and good food and free ranging? I know they do not lay everyday, and is there anyway to tell by looking at there vent if they are laying. I was just wondering because I have some girls I know are laying because I see them i the boxes, bu there are some I have never seen in a box and I am out there alot. I am getting about 18 eggs a day and I have 4 bantys and I get 3 to 4 eggs from them a day. I had an old timer tell me some of hens where not doing there job! I thought they were doing a wonderful job, would just like to know what you all think.

2. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    My banties lay an egg a day for 3-4 days and then skip a day. I have 5 banty hens and I get, on average, 3-4 eggs per day. Some days I only get 2 but that is few and far between.

Darin

3. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Not all chickens lay an egg a day, so I'd say yours a doing good.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your doing good getting 18 eggs a day from 25 hens.

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Thank you I thought my girls were doing great. Sometimes I think old timers just like to get us going:lau

6. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A lot better than mine right now! I was getting 14 - 18 from 20 hens, Now I'm getting 10-12 a day. Whats up with them? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by