25 ISA browns coming June 2nd....

daisy_dukers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 9, 2007
So I have 25 ISA browns (pullets) coming as day olds on June 2nd.

Static Chicken Run is 30ftx30ft (still needs to be covered with wire mesh)...

Coop is being build by my FIL... 10x12 with 10x8 being used for the chickens...leaving me 4x10 for supplies, room to move etc.

My question is how big of a brooder will I need for 25 chicks....

I am expecting losses and I would like to end up with 12-15 laying hens at the very worst . 25 at best
smile.png

As the summer progresses I am going build 3 more runs so I can alternate the birds through the runs every 2nd day.

Since my wife has a bird phobia I have had to design and build everything so that she can take care of the birds without ever touching them if she has to...(feed, change water, and get them to thier runs)... That is once they get large enough to go into the coop and use the runs..

She wont have to do this very often, mebbe once or twice a year..but it will end up happening eventually (murphy's law)

I have about 200 rabbit type cages that were left by the previous owner so I had thought about dismantling a few and building a large cage out of 2-or 3. What kind of sq ft-age do I need for a brooder.

You made a good choice. Where are you getting the chicks from? You shouldn't lose any. I have 25 chicks now that I received yesterday.First week they will be in a 2'X2'" pen like a small rabbit hutch. then it will be 2'X4' for up to 5 weeks then they will go into a bigger pen. This has always worked for me.

We ordered through a re-seller of Berg's hatchery here in Manitoba...

We missed out last year by trying to place our order too late...

Next year I am going to order some RIR's but I figured I would cut my teeth (and test out the facilities) on some cheaper chicks this year.

I haven't been around chickens for close to 16yrs.....so it will be a learning experience once again..

Next purchase will hopefully be a cow/calf pair of dexters...

isas rule i started with 30 but there such great layers peole keep talking me out of them mine laid at 15 weeks and lay they have and how something that big can come out of such a little hole every couple days we get a egg that will dumb found use how it did not kill the hen no lie my brother in law got a egg from a isa he stole from me that had four yolks you could not wrap your hand around that egg have had one get egg bound though have to expect that the way they lay so much and so big i ordered from randell burkey ordered 30 chicks all together got 80:) but that another story for another day good luck you will be happy no question

Best egg layers ever!!! Yes we get MEGA EGGS regularly. They are incredible. I don't know how your wife will do with them though because every time they see us they come running full force towards us wanting treats:p
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom