25 pound coon in my freezer!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bird sitter, Dec 3, 2012.

1. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, the same coon has killed seven of our birds in the past MONTH... Tonight I went out to show a friend our chickens ( btw it was pitch black outside) and we had sat and had been talking for at least twenty minutes and I looked over and there was a coon staring at us. We quietly watched him walk around our trap over and over again, but didn't go in and walked over to our tractor coops. He started running so we grabbed our 22 and started chasing! About 45 minutes later I've got a 25 pound coon! 25 pounds! I know right?? He's a big boy with probably a couple chickens in his system! I'm going to gut him in the morning and see what's in his stomach! Wish me luck! Haha!

2. bird sitter

I will make sure and post pics of this big fella tomorrow morning!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Take the pics before you gut him please! [​IMG] And well done for getting him!

4. bird sitter

Sure thing! Thanks! He's killed seven birds so he kinda deserved to die too! Haha! One of my birds has one wing because of him!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's in their nature to hunt, so I won't say they "deserve to die", but when they become a problem we must take care of our birds. Their survival doesn't depend on eating our chickens. I'm sure they'll find something else if they make the effort, but chickens are cooped up, therefor easy. Sorry to hear about your 7 and the one without her wing [​IMG] We lost 32 chickens and one got scalped, but survived. Mongoose. We caught and dispatched 7 of them in the end. We didn't enjoy it, but something had to be done.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would love to see an intact pic too. That huge bugger must be covered in ticks!

7. bird sitter

Yea, and sorry for your losses! I will post a pic let me upload it.

8. bird sitter

He died trying![​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

The rifle looks like a Daisy Red Ryder. Stupid coon, doesn't he know he'll shoot his eye out with that thing! His name must be "Ralphie"

Fa-rah-rah-rah-rah, rah-rah, rah-rah!

10. bird sitter

Lol, but that's not the gun we used o shoot him. We used a 22 and that's just a BB gun lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by