25 silkie chicks in freezing temps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chutewoman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. chutewoman

chutewoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    I ordered 25 straight run silkie chicks a month ago from Cackle in Missouri. The weather is turning off very cold on the day they are to be shipped (Wed the 18th). :eek:( I live in central Missouri, will they have a chance to make it in 18 degree lows and 30 highs?? Anyone have stories or experience with how this may turn out? This is my first mail order and I am very nervous about the possible loss of life. Just last week we had 70 for highs!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Having had a very bad experience with an order from McMurrays, I would postpone the order for sure. Only three of twenty five survived and most were d.o.a. However, there are others who have had success (and others who lost their chicks to the cold) so, I'd say, err on the side of caution. JMHO

3. chutewoman

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    I am so sorry for your loss, Birdlover!! I have been praying for good weather and it just doesn't seem to be working out for my little ones. After reading your post, I have called my mom and we are going to make the 3 hr drive to pick them up instead. Mom said maybe God wants us to have some quality driving time together. who am I to argue with my Mother or my Lord? At least this way I will be able to sleep knowing they are safe!! Thanks for your post!!

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'm glad you are close enough to be able to pick them up. Enjoy the drive time with your mom. Sounds like a great day!

5. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Wow, how fortunate you are able to drive there to pick them up! Enjoy your road trip with your mom and have fun with your baby silkies!! You will looooovvvve them!! [​IMG]

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Definitely make mom drive on the way back so you can play with the peeps [​IMG]

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] Good decision! Have fun with all those fuzzies!

8. chutewoman

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    I will enjoy the trip, it will put me at ease. I am so thankful I decided to order from a Missouri Hatchery!! To get a box full of dead babies would be heartbreaking, sorry birdlover, I can't even imagine!! I called Cackle and they said I can pick them up in person but I can't do it until Thursday, this made it impossible for my mom to go as we had hoped, but at least I won't be alone for the trip back!! Silkies are so sweet!! Thanks for all the post, you all are so kind!!

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Good Luck, and have a safe trip there and back!

10. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I had read of many others over the years that lost their babies during shipping and, when it was "my turn", I just couldn't wrap my brain around what I was seeing. It was AWFUL. Of course, in my case, they were shipped by air from Iowa to Va. Perhaps yours wouldn't be in such danger because they would have traveled by truck and its not such a long drive. Still...go get them and sleep well!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by