25 week old OEGB pullet..Egg bound???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leadwolf1, Oct 15, 2011.

1. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I have a 25 week old pullet that has seemed 'off' for 2 days. Not her usual feisty self. She walks around puffed up like she is cold, tail down, and hasn't been eating and drinking as normal. Brought her in the house, fed her meal worms and food soaked in water with yogurt and vitamins. She eats all the treats fine. Put her back out into the coop last night...this morning, same thing. Eyes bright, no sneezing/discharges/coughing. She hasn't started laying yet so I decided to check her abdomen for the possibility of an egg bound issue. When I stroke her abdomen towards her vent, she bears down as if she is trying to lay on egg. Am I just causing a response by stroking her or is there a good possibiltiy that this is her problem and I should move forward with treatment for egg binding???? She is so tiny that I'm almost afraid to do an internal exam. Any help/thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

She is fed Layena feed and free choice oyster shell...

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Anybody with thoughts/suggestions or just plain old good advice???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by