25 week olds, how long till egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CalebtheChicken, Jul 28, 2010.

1. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I know chickens can take their sweet time to lay (my one hen waited till she was 8 months old). But I just want an egg so bad before school starts back!!!
    SO. About how long till an egg? I know there's proubly no real solid answer (mainly cause I have 26 different breeds).
    Here's one of my BO pullets for an example of the adverage combs.
    [​IMG]
    Also the hens are starting to allow the roos to mount them more and more offen, though they still don't much like it just yet.

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The pullet pictured is not yet ready to lay as her comb and wattles are still quite pink. The 'facial furniture' will turn red before they lay. But don't despair, this can happen over a few days.

Sandie

3. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    If it's hot, it'l take a little longer, but at 25 weeks, I'd guess they might be laying somewhere you haven't found yet. At my place, every day is Easter. There are 4 nesting areas to check and they are widely scattered. It's sort of fun to inspect the property and be able to spot problems. I'm pretty sure there are 5 nesting areas but darned if I can find the other one. My RIRs lay in the same 2 spots, but the Bantams lay all over. Their eggs are still tiny, so are hard to find.

Once you find the first one, frequently, your brain "clicks" and suddenly you can see them better and then you find 8 your first day. Including 4 which have been there for weeks, you just didn't see them. If you know anyone you don't like very much, these eggs make great surprise gifts. If you crack open a rotten egg, in the house. Wow. You just about have to burn the house and move away.

BTW, natural gas does not smell anything like rotten eggs. Where natural gas is like a pamphlet, a real rotten egg is the Encyclopedia Britannica. With all the footnotes and additional reading.

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:They aren't hiding them, I'm keeping them in their coop and run until they lay, to prevent hidden eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by