1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

25 weeks and STILL no eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HorseFeathers, Sep 8, 2008.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hi-

This spring we got some new pullets to add to our dwindling flock of hens (AKA, three). They are exactly 25 weeks today, and still not one single little egg! :mad:

At least one, probably two, perhaps even the whole batch had cocci at an early age, and we think it may have stunted their growth. But they're big- just no combs and wattles.

Their breeds are 3 EEs and one Welsummer.

We gave the Welsummer's sister to a new home along with a RIR before the cocci outbreak. They are not being fed on organic feed like ours, have HUGE combs/wattles, and started laying a while ago. HUMPH.

We have a pretty good idea of why our pullets are so late, but I'd appreciate any other ideas!

Thanks!

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    They may just be late bloomers. Some of my 26+ weekers just started to lay this past week. I have three this age who still have laid. They just don't seem to be in any hurry (although I am). Just give it time.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Our other hens started laying 19-22 weeks. They were from different hatcheries. These we ordered online.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Mine turn 20 weeks this Friday and NOTHING. I have 4 with large combs and wattles and they all squat, but NOTHING. I'm just getting impatient.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Two of ours squat, both EEs. One of them acts like a six-year old human kid most of the time, and is puny. Go figure.

6. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I am right there with you...I was anxiously waiting for my Australorp pullet to reach 20 weeks, then 20 weeks came and went with NO EGG!!! :mad:

Now, she's about 24 or 25 wks, comb and wattles are bright red (have been for a while now), and she has been doing the crazy egg-laying song (bwack, bwack, bwack, BACAAAAK!) but still NO EGG!

*sigh* guess we'll just have to keep waiting! That egg sure better be tasty, considering how much money we've invested in it! [​IMG]

7. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Maybe we should start a contest for all of the people who are at 20 wks and waiting for the first egg. First one to find an egg wins!

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Can I enter? [​IMG]

9. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have 5- 22 week old buff orps and only 2 of them have just started laying within the last 6 days, and one of them in the last 3 days. They did the squat for about 2 weeks before the first egg. It should not be long now, try to be patient. I have 9 small brown eggs in my fridge right now and I would say they are about 1/2 the size of a large to jumbo egg. From what I hear it takes a while for them to get larger so , definately patience is needed. My husband just looks at the size and shakes his head.

10. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Quote:Can I enter? [​IMG]

I've never really set up a contest before, anyone on this thread have any experience with that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by