25 weeks no eggs? GOT AN EGG

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jnjross, Sep 8, 2008.

1. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i have a 25week comet who has never laid. could the roos be keeping her too stressed?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

i had a roo that was mean and as soon as i culled him i started getting eggs , my hens are just 18 weeks old .
    he was VERY mean to them , not sure if it is a coincidence or not , but within 3 days they were starting to lay .[​IMG]

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I also have 9 silkie hens that are the same age as yours and they too are not laying! I hope we can figure out what is going on here. I'm ready for these girls to start earning their keep. [​IMG]

4. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    My comet didn't start laying until 26 or 27 weeks I believe, but don't worry, once she started, she never stopped! One egg and day, every day, guaranteed! I also thought she'd start earlier, being a hybrid, but nope, she took just as long as my RIR and BR, but she's such a good layer I forgave her![​IMG]

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Seems like the average is about 24 weeks to start. Some take longer, though. I had 2 EEs that didn't start until 32+ weeks, but they both lay Jumbo sized eggs, so that was worth waiting for, IMO!!

6. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i'm ready for her to start since the other 2 layers flew off during hurricane last weekend

7. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Some of my girls did not start laying until after 25 weeks. My EE's really did not start until about 30 weeks.

If possible, can you seaperate the pullets and the roo for a few days to see if he is stressing them out before you cull him? Just a thought.

Good luck!

Don't worry - they will lay.

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I have a silkie that didn't start until 30 weeks. I have 2 at or above 20 weeks (I'm thinking 22 actually) and they aren't laying either.

They are stubborn when they begin laying!

Don't be surprised if it can take 8 months!

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We went ahead and bought older birds as well as chicks so we wouldn't be waiting for such a long time. Christmas is hard enough to wait for as a child but as an adult you just can't really stand the suspense![​IMG]
    We have over 100 chickens and of all our adults we are getting about 5 eggs a day. Some hens are broody right now, too. Makes the waiting on the youngsters so much easier. And of course, hatching out the chicks takes a bit of the edge off, too.[​IMG]
    Still and all, can't wait to go in and find eggs in the youngsters coop![​IMG]

10. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i guess i'm just gonna keep waitin [​IMG] i'd love to cull my 25wk roos but i need the peeps to get big enough to defend themshelves they're 14 1/2 weeks so.. 6 more weeks? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by