25 weeks old, and nothing to show for it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BasicallyHeather, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    My four black australorp ladies are now 25 weeks old, and freeloading their fluffy butts off! I keep hoping that I will peek into the coop one afternoon and find a lovely brown egg, but I am beginning to think it won't happen. [​IMG] Sigh. /endrant

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Heather, I'm also in Ohio, and this is pretty normal. With the daylight hours getting much shorter, that affects egglaying. Just take a look at your pullets. Are their combs getting redder looking? Do they squat when you pet them? If so, they're about ready to lay.....25 weeks isn't bad at all.

Another thought: Do you let them free range? Could they be hiding their eggs?

Your first egg will happen! It will!

Sharon

3. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Thanks so much for the reply. [​IMG]

They have had very red faces, combs, and wattles for about four weeks now. One is squatting, and I have seen our roo mount one of the hens (not sure which, as they all look alike! Ha!). She seemed pretty willing.

They do free-range all day. They have a well established routine in terms of where they go during the day, and I have checked all of their spots for possible hidden nests. So far, I've found nothing! They range with one other hen and two roos. The other hen is a different breed, and she has been laying for about five weeks now. She goes into the coop and lays right on the nest like a good girl. [​IMG] I am hoping that her knowledge rubs off on the others!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe you could keep them locked up for half the day, just until you see some eggs. About a week of that will establish good nesting habits. Sounds like they are ready for sure!

5. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    I would try hanging a light in the coop to simulate daylight since it is late fall and they may not lay. Good Luck.

6. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    My Blue Ameracauna is 30 weeks old and no eggs yet either, I want a blue egg!!! [​IMG]
    Her comb just turned bright red last week, so hopefully soon. She did hop up and look at the nest box a few times last week, but not restless - trying to find a place to lay an egg like my other hens were just before laying. So I bet I have a few more weeks.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:I personally, FWIW, do not recommend this as it messes up their systems something fierce. You really don't want them to begin too early, even though you can't wait for those first eggs! If they take their time "up front," you end up with less potential issues later (such as eggbound, or internal laying).

8. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I got my 1st egg @ 26 weeks...soooo long ago.....LAST WEEK! lol I feel your pain!!! just hand in there....it will come....so Far 3 in 1 week from my 26 week old.....I have 2 more @ 24 weeks....so technically I'm still waiting...and we wont even talk about my 2 babies! lol

Good luck!!

9. CockadoodlePoo

CockadoodlePoo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    New Jersey
    My Coop
    One of my RIR hens, Lilly, (30 weeks old) has been laying for months now, but her sister, Millie, just laid her first egg today! They are both the same age and I was beginning to wonder what was wrong. Super excited to get the first egg.

10. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Ruthie laid her first egg yesterday. She's 31 weeks old and her broodmates have been laying since September. Some just take longer than others. It's worth the wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by