1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

25 White Leghorns. how big of coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OkChickens, Jan 10, 2011.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I currently have a 8x12 A-Frame Coop with a 8x 24 ft run. The coop is currently roofing tin for the sides and front+back. It is supported with 1inch steal tubing. I am working on plans to expand this coop. I am going to put plywood sides instead of tin. I will support the addition with 2x4's with a door on the back side.

I want to house about 20-25 midsized hens for egg production. I want to add on 2 feet making it 8x12 making it 96 sq feet instead of 80 sq ft. I have thought of making it 2 levels for extra floor space. The second level being for a few roosts and exploring space. I will have hanging feeders and waterers

What does everyone think? I am open to suggestions on improving the coop. Thank you,

-Nate

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you'll get a lot of eggs!... and you have a great set up planned.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Sounds great! Do you havea picture of your current set-up? [​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Sounds good! Just keep this in mind- build me one too!!! But also Standard sized chicken- 4 sq ft Bantam- 2 sq ft

5. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, I do not know how to load pictures on here, I am on a smartphone. Do you copy and paste something?

M To The Maxx, I will have room for 20 with the 8x12 with my 8x24 size run I will eventually put a 2nd level but it might be a while.

Mahonri, I do like eggs and so does my family! These chickens are great layers!

-Nate

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:You go up to the top wer it says Uploads and click on that. Once that comes up then go find your picture and you can adjust the size if you want to Small, Medium, and Large. Once it uploads copy and paste the bottom link ontop the forum post. [​IMG] And then push Summit once you type what ever you want to say and Vola! [​IMG]

7. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

I have put a temporary front and a few patches. Its snowing here right now and I will finish when it clears.

-Nate

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Good Job! [​IMG]

I couldn't see it before, but I can now! [​IMG]
    Nice coop! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  9. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] I figured it out! Thank you! Now I can put funny stuff my chickens do! This is the back side. I found this on craigslist for $75 and I couldn't pass it up!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Great Find! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by