250 W Bulbs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by morelcabin, May 27, 2008.

1. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Can you all still buy them in the US? In Canada they have banned them and we can only get 175W now. I had to use two of them instead of the usual one when I started my chicks this year...they were just too cold. So much for thier energy conservation efforts. Now I need to use 350W total instead!

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Yup, they're sold at feed stores and pet stores alike. I'm sure you could find them online!

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Pet stores sell ceramic heatting bulbs for herps of different wattages up to 150Watts. Perhaps you could get one there. Since there's no light, you might even use lower wattage.

4. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Funny they have stopped bringing them here, and our temps are colder:>) The feed store told me that they are trying to say that they give off the same heat...they definitely do not. I have looked for them other places, and can't find 250W anywhere. Maybe I will have to order online

5. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Home Depot has red, 250w infrared bulbs that even have a picture of a chick on them.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    If you use a 75 wt. bulb it will do just as well. Here I use a 60 wt bulb. I found the reg. heat lamp was just too hot.

7. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Quote:No, my chicks go straight out to the shed into a 5x6 pen and temps go down to freezing and below. They need an actual heat bulb out there.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    When it gets to the teens or minus zero I only use 60 wt. bulbs here. chicks have lots of body heat, just stop up all the drafts and you will have hardy birds. [​IMG]

9. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I got my 250 watt infrared bulb at Lowe's here is the USA but I need to ask you guys if infrared is OK or will it mess up their eyes? My chics are 1 day old

10. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    infrared is good, that's what i always use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by