250 watt heat lamp height?

Northern.Ontario

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
Hi everyone.

Anyone here have experience with 250 watt heat lamps (red bulb, R40). I have 4 of them (25 chicks per lamp). Our night time temps are 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit and day time is 60-70. The coop has no insulation value but its free from breezes/draft. I'm using a 6" thick layer of chopped straw (dust extracted). The brooder is 8'x12' rectangular.

I'm trying to figure out the height off the ground for these 250 watt lamps. I'm at 28 inches and still it's like 130 Fahrenheit when I lay the thermometer on the straw, directly under the lamp.

What height are people setting there's at? Can anyone help?

If I use 250w I normally set them up higher, like 36” even 40” depends on the the temp outside. I normally use the 250w only for the first week then switch to 100w since 250 are too high of the heat that can start a fire on the beddings.

I attach mine with a quick link on a length of chain and adjust as needed.

But the best thing ever! for 250 watt bulbs is a dimmer cord from the hardware store. Then you can really dial it in, easy to bump up for cold nights etc..

(Also. Watch the heat for hours, several 250s in a confined area will substantially heat the room, leading to soaring temps in the brooder. Pre cooked chicken is bad)
Oh you can also get reptile bulbs labelled bird safe at the pet store in red in many wattages, not just 250.

Back
Top Bottom