1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

250 watt infrared heat lamp confuse!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hmoobthor, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Hmoobthor

Hmoobthor Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    So I went to get my stuff ready for my buttons quail.

Got the lamp fixture but they store only carry 250 watt infrared heating bulb...and a clear 150 wattage which give out white light.

Where can I find a lower wattage locally...

I bought the 250watt..

I got ace hardware, menards, and home depot

how do one lower and rise the lamp fixture when trying to reduce temp after the quail grew? theres nothing to do that..

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. txnative

txnative Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Kempner, Texas
    One thing you can do is move the light farther away from the area.

3. Hmoobthor

Jun 28, 2013
    it will be 21 inchs high sitting ontop of the cage..

I got a 250 watt shatter proof hardened pyrex glass..that safe? they sell tons of those in the shop I went to

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I use a 70w light bulb.

5. Hmoobthor

Jun 28, 2013
    okay..tomorrow I will be going back and returning my bulb and light fixture..

250 wat is over kill right now in the summer time and I keep mine in door..

I will be dropping off at the local pet store for a dimmable reptile light fixture and 100 watt infrared.. cost a bit more but I will be able to dim the heat down or up as needed in the summer time..

cheeers

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Go to a pet store and buy a lower wattage bulb in the reptile section. These usually come in various wattages. I usually go with a 150 W if I can find them. I started ordering them on line.
    I brood outside in a brooder coop with its own netting covered run. This is the ultra-secure run. I got a in-line thermostat that the heat lamp plugs in to. I also went to WalMart and picked up an inexpensive remote digital thermometer. The display is mounted on the outside under an eave, while the sending unit is inside under the lamp. I have the thermostat set to turn on at 88F and off at 92F. I gradually turn it down as the chicks get older. Saves on electricity, and I don't worry about the chicks getting too warm or too cold. The thermostat cost $29 and the thermometer cost about $10.
    Last week we had a heat wave. It was VERY warm. I froze 1 gallon milk jugs and placed them in the brooder coop along with a very small fan. Took the temp down to the low 90s.

7. Hmoobthor

Jun 28, 2013
    got the equipments ready...

just waiting for my incubator in the mail..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by