250watt bulb OK for indoor brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noahsmom, Feb 15, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I just bought a red 250watt bulb, when I got home I started thinking about we will already have our home above 70 degrees at all times. So will 250 watt bulb be to much for the chicks? The spare bedroom where they will be staying is the coldest room in the house, it usually stays around 66-67 in their while the rest of the house is warmer, so.

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Just watch them they will tell you. If they are all scattered and looking too hot, you will know and if they are all huddled together like one blob of feathers they are too cold. I only use household 75 watts outside and lower and raise it to there comfort level, leaving hot spots and coolers spots so they can walk into the heat or out of the heat on their own.

Good luck

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i bet it will be too hot. i got a collection of wattage incandescent bulbs - 25/ 60/ & 100 watt. i would change them out as indicated by the chicks behavior. if they huddled, i put a higher watt, if they scattered, i put a lesser watt. i had them in the garage - more temp diverse than what you'll be doing.

4. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Are these smaller wattage bulbs available in the red? I wanted to use the red because I had read that it can help with pecking/picking at each other. Where do you buy yours and what kind are they? I would hate to fry the poor things!
    Thanks

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i have never seen red in the smaller wattage. i understand your reasoning about the pecking. i didn't run into any pecking problems until they began to outgrow their space get bored. it happened so fast. everything was fine in the morning & when i looked at them a few hours later, several had some pretty tough wounds. i put nu kote on the wound &split them up for a couple of days until i could get them all in a bigger situation.

6. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    I got the 250W in my setup and my chicks are happy as can be.

They're indoor in my bedroom in a cardboard mansion. It's about 20 inches off the ground.

Just raise it as they get older and make sure they can get away from it. Mine don't spend much time under it, but they like to sit near the heated area.

7. gino100

gino100 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    How about a 60 watt red flood light bulb? Not much heat...

8. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    The way I tested mine was by placing a glass of water under the light. Then after an hour or so, use a regular thermometer. Since you're aiming for 95F, the thermometer can actually register that temperature. Mine was 94.2F, which I decided was close enough [​IMG]

9. kalson

kalson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Spring, TX
    We bought a $15 wireless thermometer and put the transmitter in with the chicks and the receiver in the kitchen so we could glance and see if we needed to adjust the heat lamp. We also put our heat lamp on a chain that we can raise or lower based on the temp.

10. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Great Thank you! Some great Ideas! I will keep the bulb and just raise it as needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by