25watt soft light

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelliepulido, Nov 5, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I had been using a 60 watt bulb in the coop on one end of it but I found a 25watt soft light bulb and put that in tonight.It seems mellower yet the chooks can get around and eat or drink etc yet sleep good too.Is that enough light for better winter laying?I have been getting alot of eggs about a dozen/d now.And I have one broody I let her sit on 6eggs to test my little roos out.All of mine are banties and most are cochins.

2. sussexgal

sussexgal Songster

That's what I use... 25w. The roosters crow and the hens lay eggs. [​IMG] I've read on here that some folks use 7w christmas bulbs.... and another gentleman who used a candle - wouldn't recommend that tho!

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    When we had our first chickens we didn't have electricity in our hen house, and we didn't live on the property the farm was on. So we had to resort to other methods of providing light. We got one of those kerosene lanterns and filled, lit it and hung it every evening while we were doing chores. We made it as safe as we could...sturdy screw-eye, heavy duty carabiner snap to attach it to the screw-eye and it was as high in the middle of the coop as we could get it. It worked great...my hens laid all winter long. The kerosene would run out part way thru the night, but it was enough extra light, when added to the normal daylight, to keep them laying.

Thank goodness I have electricity out to my coop now!

4. Sylvie

Sylvie Songster

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:I am using the little rope lights that are encased in the plastic tubing. I got them at H.Depot. I like how the bulbs are protected from chickens &, dust with the chickens protected from the wiring & bulbs.
    They are plugged into a timer to come on at 5 am.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Some use the solar powered lights and I would think they would be safer.

I can't imagine leaving a flame burning in the coop.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  6. sussexgal

sussexgal Songster

Quote:I am using the little rope lights that are encased in the plastic tubing. I got them at H.Depot. I like how the bulbs are protected from chickens &, dust with the chickens protected from the wiring & bulbs.
    They are plugged into a timer to come on at 5 am.

Hey Sylvie - I guess I worded that wrong. I meant I wouldn't recommend the candle, (but) that folks had good results from the 7w. Just a clarification - sorry for the mix up. [​IMG]

7. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    I've got one of those new fangled curly cue bulbs that uses 25 w but puts out equiv. to 100w bulb ....................... can the light be too bright ???

8. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    ttt

9. sussexgal

sussexgal Songster

Hey Buckhunter....

I think the rule of thumb is just enough light to read by. Hens like a dark secure spot to feel safe to lay eggs.... and you want to not make it so bright that the chickens don't get a good sleep. That said - I think you'll have to decide if 100w lumination is too much for the area you're lighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: