26 & 27 weeks...still no eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Freshandsalty, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Freshandsalty

Freshandsalty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    N. Texas
    My barred rock started laying at 22 weeks and has been faithfully laying almost daily, but my other four still aren't laying. They are 26 and 27 weeks old. I have a GL Wyandotte, BO, Black sex link, and an EE. They all seem to be maturing a lot slower than the BR did for some reason. They all get along well and everyone eats like pigs. Over the last couple weeks they all seem to look like they're ready to start laying, but still aren't. I understand they all mature at different rates but it's wierd that they are all still not laying. I live in north Texas and its been a little cooler lately, in the 70's mostly. Do you think they might not lay until spring with the daylight only being around 12 hours or so now?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I will wager they will start soon. Usually even when they mature going into winter, they will start anyway.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I have Five BO's that are now 27 weeks old. One started laying at 24 weeks and another joined in at 25 weeks. #3 started yesterday, but the two hold outs haven't begun yet.
    Guess it all depends....

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I have a bunch of late bloomers too. It is time to practice being patient. Mine started laying in August and are in the peak of their production. So far, the diminishing day light (10 hrs) has not affect the production rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by