1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

26 Chicks running wild

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bjcoop, May 13, 2007.

1. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    I am afraid of letting my 26 "chicken" 5 week old chicks out during the day. They are currently in the nursery part of my coop with heat at night (we're still having frost warnings at nite). I open the coop's garage doors so they can look outside and watch us during the day, but close them up at night. They scatter everywhere when I come in to feed/water or treat them, and my big hens also scare them. Can I just let them out or should I build a rickshaw chicken tractor for the few weeks it will take for them to learn the ropes.
    ?
    [​IMG]
    ps: we have a mean chicken-eating dog next door, a wily fox, owls, and we're on the nitetime route of a traveling skunk.

-----------
    home to 4 superfriendly Delis, 1 (not too brite) JG, 1 lil red bantam (my shadow) and 26 really scardycat chicks

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I would chicken tractor them if you don't have a run available. That way they see the older chickens and the older ones see them. Introductions with a barrier are always better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by