1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

26 deg tonight have to leave coop open... ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cuccismith, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Cuccismith

Cuccismith Chirping

Mar 30, 2014
    South Jersey
    I'm going overnight and it's going to be 24-26 degrees. I usually close the coop door and open in the morning at daybreak. The coop is inclosed in a predator proof run. Is it too cold to leave the door open?

2. Thechickmama

Thechickmama Chirping

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co
    I don't know but Maybe. What are your breeds? Hardy or less heat insulted, and if their molting defiantly close it up since they can't hold a much heat when molting.

3. Cuccismith

Cuccismith Chirping

Mar 30, 2014
    South Jersey
    thanks! I have 2 RR 2 Silky mix 1 Leg- the leghorn just finished molting and feathers have grown back. The others did not molt as they are almost a year. I really need to get an automatic door but I don't have $. Thought of making a plastic strip door like in a restaurant freezer...

4. Thechickmama

Thechickmama Chirping

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co
    yah none of use seem to have the $ to get the fancy stuff but they might be fine just as long as they can get inside their coop.

5. Cuccismith

Cuccismith Chirping

Mar 30, 2014
    South Jersey
    Thanks for your time! I'm not going to chance it and come home 6am... appreciate your help

6. Thechickmama

Thechickmama Chirping

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co
    Sure glad I could help.:yiipchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: