26% Gamebird starter crumble?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tweetyflights, Nov 27, 2010.

1. tweetyflights

tweetyflights Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    would 26% protein be enough for my quail? should i add anything (egg yolk)???? Here's the ingredints and nutrition facts:

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Protein (min.) 26.00 %
    Fat (min.) 4.00 %
    Fiber (max.) 6.00 %
    Calcium (actual) 1.50 %
    Phosphorus (actual) 1.00 %
    Sodium (actual) 0.18 %
    Vitamin A (min) 13500 iu/kg
    Vitamin D (min) 5000 iu/kg
    Vitamin E (min) 50 iu/kg
    Selenium 0.30 mg/kg

Ingredients: wheat, soyabean meal,
    barley, peas, canola meal, corn, limestone,
    biofos, vegetable oil, salt, lysine hydrochloride,
    methionine, Bio-MOS, natural enzymes, choline
    chloride, vitamin A premix, vitamin D, premix,
    vitamin E premix, riboflavin, niacinamide,
    calcium pantothenate, folacin, biotin, thiamine
    hydrochloride.

If that isn't good for my quail [​IMG] dose anybody know any websites that ship to canada or are in canada BC???? thx

2. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That should be good. What brand is it? Is it medicated? The meatbird starter I have is 24% protein and medicated. There usually isnt a big selection to choose from when it comes to game starter at the feed store. They usually only stock one type and you don't get a choice of whether its medicated or not. It'd probably be a good idea to give them some fresh veggies, grass and maybe even some crickets or meal worms.

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    As long as it is game bird feed. 20-30% protein should be fine! It's more about the amino acids, than the protein.

4. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I'd suggest non-medicated. I use 28% myself but 26% is not bad, might add boiled eggs every now and then.

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:I suggest non-medicated as well, but the only place you can get medicated game bird feed, is in the pheasant belt. It's probably the only place you can get the Purina 12%game bird feed as well.

I suggest everyone call Purina mills and ask them about their product number 5419, then ask where they can get the "MEDICATED" version. It's like a trade secret. Very nice CSR's get all defensive when you ask for the medicated version.

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I had to ask my feed store for 2 months to get the un medicated. I read on the back of the feed and it said it was a starting ration for pheasants, so I finally got the right kind.

7. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:I suggest non-medicated as well, but the only place you can get medicated game bird feed, is in the pheasant belt. It's probably the only place you can get the Purina 12%game bird feed as well.

I suggest everyone call Purina mills and ask them about their product number 5419, then ask where they can get the "MEDICATED" version. It's like a trade secret. Very nice CSR's get all defensive when you ask for the medicated version.

Joe why would you want the medicated version??

8. tweetyflights

tweetyflights Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    no it isn't medicated. their is 28% MEDICATED turkey starter, but i thought quail couldn't/ shouldn't have medicated feed? and yes i know to feed other food/treats [​IMG] [​IMG]

p.s i've been feeding chick feed (only 10% [​IMG] ) mixed with kitten food and vitamin B1 aswell as lettuce, apples, mealies, etc.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  9. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Do not give them kitten food OR medicated feed.

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ROBO THE PURINA STARTER MARKED FOR PHEASANTS ONLY IS MEDICATED. IT IS MEDICATED WITH AMPROLLIUM WHICH IS NOT APPROVED FOR USE IN QUAIL BY THE FDA--- THUS THE MARKING "FOR PHEASANTS ONLY" ON THE TAG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by