1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

-26 This Morning - All Is Well

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fred's Hens, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

26F below zero and went out this morning to check on the birds. All is well, but they aren't exactly celebrating. But their feathers are fluffed up and mostly, they stand around or perch. The ate hungrily, of course. One dog bowl didn't work last night. The little pail was frozen. I'll check on that later. Picked up the eggs and will repeat that 3 times today.

No heat, btw.

Hopefully, this is winter's bottom point and it improves from here on. I hope so. It's harder on me than on them, I think.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Brrrr.....I guess you dont want to hear me whining that there was frost on the ground this morning.

Where are you?

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yikes, that makes single digits here seem warm! (where are you that it's minus 26? brrrrrrrr!) My birds cannot endure NJ cold so they are enjoying ceramic heat lamps..
    JJ

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I'm not quite that cold, but I too, do not have electricity run to the coop--------they do fine with a sub-ground level dirt floor with 18 inches plus of deep litter that composts. Been working for many years now. (See my BYC page for pics of my Coop/run setup)

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The big thing is feed, the colder it is, the more feed they need. Now is the time for scratch! They need the high energy feed, corn is also good. I take down regular feed in the morning, with a little scratch mixed in, then at night just before dark, I take down just scratch. They go to bed with a full crop.

My egg production slows in the extreme cold, but the girls and roo do fine. mk

6. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    Same here where it was -7 this morning (6 inside the coop). Again, no heat, but I do have a heat lamp on the waterer, but it was mostly frozen too except a little spot where they had kept it pecked open to drink from.

What longitude are you at? We're around the 45th parallel as well at longitude -85.617918.

7. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Mrs. K :

The big thing is feed, the colder it is, the more feed they need. Now is the time for scratch! They need the high energy feed, corn is also good. I take down regular feed in the morning, with a little scratch mixed in, then at night just before dark, I take down just scratch. They go to bed with a full crop.

My egg production slows in the extreme cold, but the girls and roo do fine. mk

I agree with giving them some scratch or cracked corn in late afternoon. We had -11* here in Michigan at sunrise. About -3* now at 10am. Not going to get real warm today!​

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    -26 here predicted for tonight. Just was out re-doing the bag balm on the combs. All my chickens seem fine and I'm getting plenty of eggs, but I was stupid enough to have a few leghorns out here where it gets so cold. Love my birds and they do wonderful in the heat,but those combs!! I'm mixing a little betadine in with the bag balm and we'll see. Other than frostbite, everyone is A-OK.

9. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I'm freezing at -7 here in MA this morning. I can't imagine being that cold. I'm having a little trouble with some frostbite on a couple of my combs too. Do you use the ointment bag balm or the cream? I haven't tried that yet sounds like a good idea.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:I've been using the ointment and I just started mixing in a few drops of betadine. However, I can't say that it's helped much. Seems to only be a problem with my giganto comb leghorns and nothing I do seems to stop it. ventilation is fine in my coop (AFAIK) , but the outside humidity is 85% and everything is frosting that's outside too! I'll be thankful for my leghorns when it's hot again but I am kicking myself for now. [​IMG] Aside from the frostbite, all the chickens are eating, putting out eggs, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by