26 week Americauna's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imama2many, Oct 23, 2016.

1. imama2many

imama2many Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2015
    No. Utah
    So I thought Americauna's laid sooner than my rocks and doms..... but here we are.... 26 week old birds and no eggs! What's the deal?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Actually, Easter Eggers ("Americaunas") often lay later than most breeds, usually at around 6-8 months, rather than 5-7.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat.......and..... not all EE's lay blue/green eggs, they can lay brown, pink and rarely white.

Check vents and pelvic points to see who is laying and who is not.
    Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

4. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    Hopefully girls should be close for I have four EE at the same age and this last week Penny one of my white/brown colored pullets started laying a blue egg. [​IMG]

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

My EE, sold of course as Ameraucana (with the correct spelling) just laid her first 2 blue eggs at 28 weeks. Her sister laid a couple of olive colored eggs more than a month ago, but nothing since. And their body size is actually pretty small compared to most of my other birds. My BR laid at 20, 22, and 24 weeks. My white leghorn didn't lay anything until 22 weeks even though I was told it would at 16.

So I am gonna agree with other posters, they lay late. [​IMG]

Also in addition, the comb usually gets a lot redder when they are ready to lay. And they will often "squat" when you quickly put your hand over their back. Plus mine usually get a practice egg song in, especially if they get startled. And they usually spend time squawking talking before lay as well. All of these symptoms I have seen about one month before eggs appear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by