26 week old Pearl White Leghorn still not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jbcluckers, Oct 8, 2016.

1. jbcluckers

jbcluckers Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    Door County, Wisconsin
    I have a Pearl White Leghorn that I ordered From Murry McMurry as a 4 to 9 week old started chick. I received my chicks the first week in May so assuming they were 4 weeks old at that point would put her at 25 to 26 weeks old now. All my other hens have been laying for a while now except the leghorn. They are all fed All Flock with free choice oyster shell on the side.She has huge a bright red comb and waddles. She also has been squatting when we go to pet her for a couple of weeks now. She shows some interest in the nesting boxes and goes in and out of them but does not sit in them. I've read of leghorns starting to lay as soon as 16 weeks so at 26 weeks I am starting to wonder whats going on. She seems to be very happy and healthy and gets along with the rest of the flock just fine.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Either she's about to begin, or she has a hidden nest some where. Some hens are slower to mature this time of year. I actually prefer they mature more slowly so they are less likely to experience problems down the road like prolapse and binding. I would have a good look around, but more than likely she will start up very soon.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you free range, she may indeed be laying out in range area.

Check vent and pelvic points.
    Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by