26 weeks and no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dadsdeercamp, Oct 4, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    If i am being robbed by a rat or snake or whatever if i put a store bought egg in the nest box to see if it stays in there will the chickens be ok with it in there or will that keep them out of the nest box?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't use a store bought egg. If it stays without getting broken, it will start to rot. If it does get broken and your hens discover it, they may find out how tasty eggs are.

Better to use golf balls, fake eggs or plastic easter eggs (filled to give them weight and then glued shut), IMO.

If your birds are not laying yet and have never laid, betcha they just need time. Some of the larger, dual purpose breeds are late maturers.

3. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    will a rat take a golf ball?

4. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    I don't know about a rat, but a snake will and it will be the LAST thing that snake ever eats. A friend of mine uses golf balls when he thinks he has a snake problem.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ditto. Don't know if a rat will take one. Snakes do take golf balls. Out walking around on the farm recently I came across yet another "volunteer" egg gourd plant. I am going to be watching it carefully so I can harvest the egg gourds when ready. That's what my DH's grandma used in her nestboxes, look like real eggs.

http://www.amishgourds.com/site/1278922/product/REGG

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:Ditto. Don't know if a rat will take one. Snakes do take golf balls. Out walking around on the farm recently I came across yet another "volunteer" egg gourd plant. I am going to be watching it carefully so I can harvest the egg gourds when ready. That's what my DH's grandma used in her nestboxes, look like real eggs.

I have egg gourds in some of my nest boxes. Most of them do look like real eggs, but they are very light weight, and the hens sometimes kick them out onto the floor. I've been wondering how to add weight to them, so they are more like a real egg. My best idea is to bore a small hole,and pour in melted wax.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

I have egg gourds in some of my nest boxes. Most of them do look like real eggs, but they are very light weight, and the hens sometimes kick them out onto the floor. I've been wondering how to add weight to them, so they are more like a real egg. My best idea is to bore a small hole,and pour in melted wax.

Or, add some sand and seal the hole closed with a drop of glue. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by