1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

26 weeks, no eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WIwinterChick, Oct 27, 2016.

1. WIwinterChick

WIwinterChick Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Hi! I'm looking for reasons/solutions for my hens not laying eggs. I have two 26 wk old hens, a Rhode Island Red and a Houdan. They were born on 4/27. Free range until 10/1, now they are in their coop/pen (96 sq ft) for winter. Water and food supply is constant with kitchen veggie scraps every morning, nesting boxes are cozy with straw. I have a rooster and two ducks ( same age, chicks and ducklings together since day 1), and my female runner duck hasn't laid either if that adds a piece to the puzzle. Anything helps! Thank you!

2. mamussell

mamussell New Egg

Oct 19, 2015
    I'm in the same boat! Mine are 25 weeks 4 days (born 5/1) and only 1 is laying (barred rock). She laid her 3rd egg today (outside of the nesting box, AGAIN, mind you). My RIR, buff orp, and australorp are not yet laying. A local chicken store owner told me its very common at this season. 6 months is a better estimate and some may not lay until spring because of the shorter days/colder weather. Hang in there! I know it is SO HARD to wait :) You are doing it all right!

1 person likes this.
  3. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    They'll lay when they are ready and not a moment sooner! [​IMG] 26 weeks is well within the norm for not laying yet. I had an Easter egger who made me wait till almost 30 weeks this year...[​IMG] It sounds like you've got a good set up, the eggs will come, don't worry !

1 person likes this.
  4. WIwinterChick

Oct 25, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Thank you! You guys have made me feel better! Being a mom (to humans and pets), I'm always over-worrying over everything. Do you know of any behaviors, etc. that I should watch for that could/should cause worry? I have done so much research to have a healthy happy flock, but I'm always looking to learn more! Thank you!
    *I'll update if I find my eggs one morning!

5. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    You're very welcome [​IMG] Things to look for are red combs and wattles, squatting when you reach down to touch them, and their pelvic bones widening. You can measure the points of their pelvic bones by using your fingers. In the evening when they're roosting, find the two pointy bones under and on either side of the vent. If you can fit 2-3 fingers between the points they are ready to lay. Just one finger, and you've got more waiting.

1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not sure why you still do not let them out to free range once a day? Chickens are creatures of habit....Any changes set them off...Routine is always best....
    Your Birds are still young as far as Pullets go...They will lay and mature at different rates even with certain breeds and flock members....

Have no worries they will lay...

Cheers!

7. WIwinterChick

Oct 25, 2016
    Wisconsin

One of the neighbor's dogs killed my Rhode Island Rooster and my other Houdan hen the last week of September, so that is the reason for the early lock in. Last year once the snow and wind hit they went on lock down, the previous year I lost 4 outta 6 birds though they were in their coop it was a hard winter (over 60 days of below 0 weather, including the windchill -20 to -60 and snow drifts 4 1/2 ft tall). So for their safety and my peace of mind my plan was to pen them by the first snow like last year (heat lamps when the wind chills are deadly). I'd rather stress them out for a few weeks than lose more. I love them lol. I hope this clears the free range question up [​IMG] Wanted to add that the dog got the hen in the coop (gunshot in the air scared it away, but it was too late). But after that they wouldn't go near the coop I had to lure them or play hide and seek every night to get them in.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Houdans aren't exactly outstanding producers. It's not uncommon for ornamental breeds to start laying at 8 months or older. And pullets that mature in the fall do take longer to start laying. Make sure they are getting a feed with a decent protein content, and keep the treats to a minimum. The coop should not have any windchill.

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by