26 weeks not laying yet?

NewYorkMama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Hi! I have a 26 week old Speckled Sussex named Brownie. She’s sweet as can be, but I don’t think she’s laying yet. Her “sister” an Easter egger of the same age has been laying for a month now. Her other sister, Crossword a SS was killed by a fox 😡 10 days ago and I haven’t seen any SS eggs in the coop since then. I thought maybe Brownie had been scared off laying for a while but now I wonder if the small brown eggs I’d been getting were all from her now deceased sister. Brownie is happy, healthy, has a bright red comb & waddles. She doesn’t squat for me though like the EE does. Any ideas? Is 26 weeks still normal for a SS not to be laying? Here’s a photo.
FF708CF5-447E-47E0-A9C1-27E7E993A7DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi! I have a 26 week old Speckled Sussex named Brownie. She’s sweet as can be, but I don’t think she’s laying yet. Her “sister” an Easter egger of the same age has been laying for a month now. Her other sister, Crossword a SS was killed 10 days ago and I haven’t seen any SS eggs in the coop since then. I thought maybe Brownie had been scared off laying for a while but now I wonder if the small brown eggs I’d been getting were all from her now deceased sister. Brownie is happy, healthy, has a bright red comb & waddles. She doesn’t squat for me though like the EE does. Any ideas? Is 26 weeks still normal for a SS not to be laying? Here’s a photo. View attachment 2866758
Some take a while to start laying. I’m not sure exactly how long it took for mine, but I remember her starting later than the others. Brownie is beautiful! Love the name.

She’s still quite young, expect eggs closer to the 25- 30 week time frame or later with SS. Wonderful breed by the way, they’re quite a lot of fun and you’ll enjoy having her.

Some take longer to lay. We had a LEGHORN (dark brown) take 36 weeks to lay -she hatched in Feb, so light was always increasing. The two sisters of that Leghorn took 40+ weeks for one to lay and the third hadn’t laid yet when sold at 46 weeks. They were the only white egg layers we had at that time.

light plays a big role too. As the light decreases, some pullets won’t begin to lay until early spring when light has been increasing. However, your has a red comb and wattles, so seems to be nearly ready to lay. I’d give her a few more weeks -you will likely see eggs soon

I have 13 pullets that will be 25 weeks on this coming Monday...only 6 are laying so far. One of them, my little scissor beak, is no where near ready to start laying, but everyone else looks ready and half of my freeloaders do the whole squat for mating thing (none of my first flock ever did this, but this batch came with an accidental roo, so maybe it's a learned behavior?).

Hi! I have a 26 week old Speckled Sussex named Brownie. She’s sweet as can be, but I don’t think she’s laying yet. Her “sister” an Easter egger of the same age has been laying for a month now. Her other sister, Crossword a SS was killed by a fox 😡 10 days ago and I haven’t seen any SS eggs in the coop since then. I thought maybe Brownie had been scared off laying for a while but now I wonder if the small brown eggs I’d been getting were all from her now deceased sister. Brownie is happy, healthy, has a bright red comb & waddles. She doesn’t squat for me though like the EE does. Any ideas? Is 26 weeks still normal for a SS not to be laying? Here’s a photo. View attachment 2866758
What a beautiful bird. I have 4 pullets (2 golden wyandottes, 1 Easter Egger, and 1 Bielefelder) and they are 30 weeks old and still not laying eggs. We just have to be patient. I also have 4 mature hens (2 Rhode Island Reds, a Blue-laced Wyandotte, and a Black-laced Wyandotte) and of them, only two are currently laying eggs. This is because some of the older hens are doing their fall molt, and also our day length is getting much shorter (less than 12 hours of daylight today). Hens need 12 to 14 hours of daylight to stimulate egg-laying, so I guess I am out of luck until next spring. I don't know where you are in NY and how long your day length is right now, but that could be affecting your SS's interest in laying eggs this fall.

Back
Top Bottom