26 weeks old and still waiting!!!

Roni

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Essex
When will I get my first egg???
sad.png

Is there anything I can do to 'move them along' or am I doing anything wrong, ie too many 'treats'? They are on Layers Pellets but they also have lots of treats during the day (cabbage, sunflower seeds, corn, grapes, etc etc).

I thought about leaving a light on in their coop but read somewhere that it can shorten their lifespan as it's 'artifically' forcing their body to go against their natural way of doing things.

Me and hubby patiently go and check every morning and I've even threatened them that if they haven't laid by christmas, they'll be on the table!!! (lol, only joking, I could never eat my chickies!!)

You and me both!!! I have chickens born April 19th and still no eggs! It'll just be that much sweeter when they finally let loose! Good luck!
big_smile.png

Oh no!!! Looks like I'm gonna have to be more patient!! But I just can't wait, oh the excitement!!
yippiechickie.gif

I go down our local farmshop most weekends and buy their eggs - they know me well down there and now I wait while they go and collect them for me. It's got to the point where they now say "still no eggs" and laugh!!

Oh well, I still love my chickies though - I never knew they could be so funny.
big_smile.png

Good luck too - We'll both be keeping our fingers crossed for some news soon!!

Do you know I was in the same boat as you are at the moment, however 2 of my leghorns are still to lay 26 weeks later. Although this time I'm more relaxed about not having any eggs, as yet.

What you are doing with treats and so on I did as well, I don't think thats wrong !! as long as they seem happy, do they look good ?.
Every body I spoke to said that its like watching a kettle 'it never boils'
Very soon you will see a change I am sure.

My two girls that layed eggs are called Pigeon and Post and are Silver Grey Dorkings, Pigeon layes blue eggs and Post has light cream eggs

But at the moment I am bothered about the wet area in the pen. 3/4 of the pen and certainly the coop is dry, never the less the small area outside in the pen is very wet indeed. Do you know do they like the wet generally ?

any way all the best.. keep me posted !! sorry about the pun

Quote:
Roni hi, yep still they laugh at the farm I go to, they seem to like to hear the news about No Eggs Yet
big_smile.png

ah well, the suprise is fantastic you will see. Do you know I could not eat the eggs when they first started to lay
lol.png
but now when I pick the eggs the girls come to the nesting / egg laying box waiting for a thankyou from me.. and yes you do get very attached to them they have a great sinse of like ness and you grow very fond of them.

The other two leghorn girls are still very angry about not laying any eggs yet, they just race upto me and peck hell out of my hands.

I must say these girls' leghorns' are completely daft.
hmm.png
D.gif
what sort of hens have you got Roni

ah thanks for your reply - at least I know that I'm not the only impatient momma waiting for her babies to lay!!

I have two Buff Orpingtons that are 26 weeks old now and two White Orpingtons that I bought a couple of weeks after - not sure of their age but believe they are just a couple of weeks younger.

I've even bought some 'fake' eggs in the hope that if I put them in the nest, it might jog their memory of what they are supposed to do!!
lol.png
I haven't put them in yet but might resort to it soon!!

Waiting for the first egg is SO SUSPENSEFUL...my adult hens have been laying for a year, but this summer I got some Easter Eggers and some Welsummers. Now I am once again on tenterhooks waiting for the new egg colors...

A little bit of bad news though, hens lay more in the spring and summer and less in the fall and winter. They may stop entirely due to the shorter days....or, never start at all... I'll let some more experienced person go into more details, because that's as much as I know. I have a light on a timer in my coop for an extra 4 hrs of light for them, because for a while we were getting almost no eggs. The adults have started laying again but the new kids haven't started!

Post a picture of your first egg when it comes!

yes I will post a pic of the first of the leghorn eggs, and will post some of the blue eggs too,
but as you say its winter and the shorter days plays hell with the girls egg laying system and generally with their whole bird to..

I'm right there with ya waiting on my one and only EE to start. The girls she was raised with are the same age and started laying over 4 weeks ago! I think she's holding out just to irritate me...
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom