1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

26 weeks old NO eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by real_redhead, Dec 4, 2012.

1. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Ok, I have never had chickens wait this long to lay! All my others started laying between 18 and 22 weeks. I have 7 girls I that will be 26 weeks old tomorrow and still no eggs. Almost all have done the squat and some of them I know have been doing it for weeks. I haven't checked the bones above the vent in the last week or so but I am beginning to wonder what's going on. The girls I got in March are laying strong and have been since about 22 weeks. I am beginnig to think something is wrong. Any thoughts? I have several different breeds in the 26 week old group - dominique, EE, speckled sussex, welsummer.

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    Well, since it's winter and the days are getting shorter they might not be getting enough sunlight to produce any eggs yet. I think that chickens need 14 hours a of sunlight a day to lay an egg.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Minus the Dominique we have the same breed of chickens and a similar problem. My SS were from last years hatch in July so they are just now finishing up their molt and haven't gotten back in to the swing of things. My Wellies and EE are this hatch form April 25th. My Wellies started laying at 25 and 26 weeks but my EE will be 32 weeks tomorrow and still no egg and no squatting. I did find that the Wellies squatted for nearly 2 full weeks before laying. If I remember correctly it was only a week for my SS girls but they started to lay at 18, 19, 21, and 30 weeks. The last one to lay had a bad case of impacted then sour crop. Good luck! with the egg waiting game!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've heard of EE's laying aged 20 weeks and I've heard of one laying her first egg aged 1 year! It depends on the individual hens. They'll lay when they are ready. Just make sure they have everything they need, good food, enough light etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by