260 miles for silkies!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KDbeads, Dec 17, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    kdbeale posted an auction last week for silkies:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=274767

And knowing hubby has been begging for the little puff balls since we hatched 3 on Thanksgiving.... well I killed 2 birds with one stone. Got both of our Christmas gifts, he got silkies and I got 6 hens that will be my incubators from now on! These birds are the coolest thing! I drove 2 hours down, through heavy rain at one point and people who probably haven't seen rain in a few months all over the road because they forgot how to drive in the stuff [​IMG] Met a really nice BYC'er named Kristen! On the way back I stopped for gas and people were just a looking in the back of my truck. Got all the way to the post office here in town where I was stopped by at least half a dozen people who actually knew what silkies were and wanted to know where I got them and if there were more! Now have a list of people who may be interested in chicks come spring.
    Got everyone in their pens and the white roo copped an attitude with me, he got it adjusted real fast too. After that they were great!!

Pics!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I got 2 camera shy babies:
    [​IMG]

2. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    [​IMG] Love it! I'm glad you made it home safe and sound....I was actually getting ready to email you! Hope you and your DH enjoy them. Wish I had more for those who were interested!!!! [​IMG]

Now I gotta plan out turning the big run into my newest Serama coop. [​IMG] I cant wait till spring!

Keep in touch,

3. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    When hubby got home I think he spent a full 45 minutes trying to hand feed them treats. The little blackish one with the splash on her head decided he was tolerable and paid him some attention. He really likes the splash roo! He's been named Worf already, one of the girls got named Gonzo and the one that likes him I think we are going to calling Sweeny.

Thanks again!!! We are going to enjoy this group!!

4. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Looks like you've got a nice flock there. It's hard when you have to travel so far, but they look like they were worth it. Glad Hubby was happy, thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

5. suburbanchx

suburbanchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Who did you getn them off of?

6. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    kdbeale, she posted above [​IMG]

7. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice looking flock! The chick on the left is unusual colored. Kinda looks like the project I'm working on...buff/splash color crossing.

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Very pretty hens and handsome roos!

9. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:It does look funky doesn't it, mom/dad are the white ones above. So far it's feathering out white.

Hubby still hasn't decided what to think about the white roo, it's a bit cocky. I think he needs a couple more girls to fuss over. Hubby wanted to know what silkie tasted like [​IMG] [​IMG] Found out later he was actually joking but I was about to strangle the man!

10. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    very pretty. i love silkies!!!! make sure you update and post pictures often!!!!!

=] good luck with them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by