26ish Weeks...EGGS?!

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
My girls are driving me batty. I have two BCM pullets and one Australorp pullet (none hatchery, from hatching eggs) that are 26 weeks old. These will be my first egg layers so yea, kinda anxious for the first eggs! I want to stop buying store bought eggs and instead enjoy those fresh from the coop!

I haven't noticed any squatting behavior. The next boxes occasionally look like they were scratched about in, but nothing but shavings and the dud eggs when I check. And since their coop is elevated (tis mounted on a trailer) every couple of days I check to make sure no eggs are under it (lots of dust bathing potholes, though).

Wheeeeeeeeen?! When will there be eggs?

I don't know much about the Australorps, but Marans typically take a bit longer. Mine was 29 weeks when she started to lay. I would bet with the shorter days that it may take a bit longer.

Unless you are supplementing light it maybe next spring before they start to lay. Hens need about 14 hours of light per day. As far north as you are there is no way that there is still 14 hours of daylight. I girls have stopped laying, and I am still trying to decide if I want to had the extra needed light.

I have 2 Australorps, they are still laying now...they started about 20 weeks and haven't stopped, now at 32 weeks I still get eggs daily, without added light.

I have 19 hens, ages 26 & 27 weeks. NONE of them have laid a single egg. They're BO's, BR's, SS, EE's, Welsummers, an Australorp and a GLW. They're nothing but freeloaders.
wink.png

I have 2 BA that are 26 weeks old that just started to lay this week. I have gotten 3 eggs in 4 days from one of them and the other one layed her first yesterday. My Delaware and EE havent layed yet. I do add light at 5 am each morning until 730am. I am not sure if it matters or not. they started squatting a week ago and now my Delaware is starting to squat

Someone heard me complaining yesterday..I got my very first egg from one of my 27 week old EE's, so there is hope after all. It's a lovely shade of green.

Congrats, The Menagerie!

My australorp is considering laying an egg soon, I think! This morning she squatted! I was trying to herd the chickens back into their run (hint: trying) and since she is so friendly, I reached down to pick her up and she went flat on the ground with her wings out before I even touched her!

Back
Top Bottom