27 new chickies. One problem. PICS.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Puddle Foot Farm, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi guys, I posted a question about my brooder on Thursday evening, and now I have a question about the actual chicks.

We're raising 6 silkies and 21 other assorted standards together. Most of the silkies seem to be able to hold their own, but we have one little runty one that just seems to be sleeping all the time. Whenever I pick Scrabble up, it will just fall asleep. When I put it back into the brooder, it won't move, it'll just stay there and sleep some more. I was worried, so I brought it downstairs and now it and another bigger silkie buddy are napping together in a little nest I made for them.

It's dark here because of rain, so is that the problem? They just don't have enough light and its affecting poor little Scrabble the most?

PICS:
    All the chickies yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Again.
    [​IMG]

"Dead" chickies. They scared me at first!
    [​IMG]

Scrabble. [He's a little wet from drinking water.]
    [​IMG]

The two little poofballs all snuggly.
    [​IMG]

2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Sometimes certain chicks take a little extra time to get going. Try putting some sugar or gatorade in the waterer and if possible seperate Scrabble and 1 other "calm" chick into their own area and make sure its warm.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That last picture is absolutely adorable! I'm glad Scrabble has a buddy - that's important.

It doesn't sound like he's doing real well if he sleeps all the time. Can you add electrolytes to his water? Are you sure he's warm enough but not too warm? I would keep a close eye on him (as you are), check his bottom for pasty butt also.

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Haha chirpy we posted at exactly the same time lol

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm thinking the little one my be having trouble fighting her (I'm being optimistic) way to food and water. You may need to separate her from the others to ensure she's getting proper nourishment. Maybe it would help if you just take her out several times a day and give her sole access to food and water???

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

A little bit of sugar water and extra food time will hopefully get your little guy going again.

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats, what cute chickies. Hope Scrabble is doing good. He/she sure is a sweety. Just make sure it is getting food and water. Heat too. Keep it with a friend. Good luck.

8. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    It seems that Scrabble is going for a complete one-eighty! Right now, he's at about one hundred. He had like, ten completely active, hopping around minutes but got a bit tired and had to rest. Luckily I picked the silkie I did, because I realized that she had poop butt and got that fixed right away. Right now they're resting -- or NOT! Scrabble just ran right out of his little nest. [​IMG] Now they're both eating. Hopefully they'll keep this up. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had the same issue, a smaller chick not doing well. I started feeding it separate and although still smaller, can hold it's own. Glad to hear she's doing well
    Krista

10. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Scrabble and Boggle [I just named her] are back in their little nest after a couple hours with the older chickens. I got worried when I changed their cage because they got hay for the first time and the others were running EVERYWHERE in a frenzy to play in the hay. So, they were trampling all over poor Boggle who was trying to sleep, and Scrabble couldn't get to the food. I'm going to feed them by hand again and let them rest before putting them back in. Hopefully this'll be the last time I have to separate them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by