27 week old cream legbar that is not laying yet.

LucyL

Chirping
Jul 22, 2015
What do you guys think??? I'm getting impatient. Is there still a chance she'll start laying or do I have to wait until spring? :(
1f622.png

I do free range her as much as possible. I'm afraid to let them be outside by themselves because the last time I did that a cat killed and ate one of my chickens. I'm feeding her a layer feed but I'm not sure of the type. I can check tomorrow.

She sure looks mature enough to be laying, nice red comb and she's in good condition from what I can see. Sounds like they don't range enough for her to be consistently hiding eggs. With that comb I'd say you just have a waiting game on your hands.

On a positive note, I've seen dozens of times where someone posts this same thing..."when will she lay?" and it's like magic, the bird lays in the next week
wink.png
. If that happens, you'll wish you posted this a month ago!

my cream legbar laid her first egg at almost 26 weeks. There was no warning signs, her comb didn't seem too red, more pinkish and she never did the submissive squat for me. She still won't squat and her comb looks the same to me, not really all that red but she's been laying like crazy since October 22nd.

Here is a picture of mine a day before she laid the first egg if you want to compare? I am sure yours will lay soon :) good luck!

Thanks to the both of you for giving me some hope. I'll just keep checking the nesting boxes and keep you guys posted. Jiskra your cream legbar looks a lot like mine.
263a.png

Check her points.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Thank you AArt. I will attempt to check those points this afternoon. Have a wonderful day.

I was just about to ask the same thing lucy! I am actually not sure how old our girl is.
Im also very interested to see what color she lays. I bought her with the idea she would give us blue eggs but I have since heard alot of them can lay green too?
Jiskra what color egg did your girl lay? She looks very similar to trump ( our CCL, lol )

I was just about to ask the same thing lucy! I am actually not sure how old our girl is.
Im also very interested to see what color she lays. I bought her with the idea she would give us blue eggs but I have since heard alot of them can lay green too?
Jiskra what color egg did your girl lay? She looks very similar to trump ( our CCL, lol )

Mine lays pale green, I too was hoping for blue. But since she is from hatchery I was kinda expecting green

Back
Top Bottom