27 week old hens not laying. Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ivy061, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Ivy061

Ivy061 In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    I got my 2 chickens on September 28 at one day old. By my calculations they are around 27-28 weeks old. I thought they were supposed to lay around 22-23 weeks?
    Their breeds are a Delaware and a Sussex. Their combs are bright red and I have had it confirmed that they are female. What is up with them?
    I've tried feeding them red pepper like my Ag teacher suggested but that didn't do a thing.

I can only think of two things that may have effected them. One, when they were about 12-13 weeks, all of their other hatch mates were attacked and killed by dogs.
    One was hiding in a thorn bush and I saved the other out of the dog's mouth. Could they be stressed still? Would that prevent their laying?
    They were all by themselves for about 6-7 weeks and then I got a new group of chicks.
    They all live in the same coop and run. Could the young chicks possibly be bothering the older chickens?
    They have a nesting box full of shavings in a clean coop and plenty of room so...?

Any help would be appreciated. I would also be happy to try folk remedies, etc. if it will get them to lay as my mother is threatening to put them on the chopping block if they don't lay by the end of the month.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I had three black Australorps that I hatched out June 1, 2010 and they did not start laying until January.

3. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Songster

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    They'll lay when they lay.

We got black australorp and easter egger on April 29 ... day olds. The ba's started laying in October (about 5 1/2 months) and the eggers started a couple of weeks after that.

Patience. It'll happen.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:I can only echo the above...

5. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Although my DH started talking to my hens about being put in the soup pot and all of a sudden they started laying. I'm sure it was just a coincidence. [​IMG]

6. kulangi

kulangi Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    All my pullets laid their first egg when they were 30 weeks old. Are you hens squatting for you? That is a sign that they are ready to lay eggs.

7. Ivy061

Ivy061 In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    They are squatting and one of my bantam roos has been trying to mate them for about 2 weeks now!
    I'm pretty sure he is too young though. [​IMG]

That's what's worrying me. Because I'm pretty sure that means they are capable of laying eggs right?

8. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Are you sure they aren't hiding them?

9. Both are larger breeds. Are they hatchery or show strain? My Light Sussex took about 9-10 months to lay. I know my MIL's BA's from Ideal didn't start until they were 7 or 8 months.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Make sure they aren't already laying someplace hidden and that you don't have a snake or some such stealing eggs. Other than that, just wait. I have had hens wait until 34 weeks to start. It's really about the individual hen rather than the breed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: